Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 10:40 AM

Default HULA Overhaul

Given the end of this season, one of two things are going to happen if HULA III comes to fruition.

1) Someone else will take over head commissioner role.
2) The format of HULA III will be completely different from prior seasons.

Please reply if you have any comments on either option.

Doug
Old 12-05-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Re: HULA Overhaul

I think there needs to be some different structure as to how to split up the money. I think if you got behind and were out of the playoff hunt, there really wan't motivation to play. Perhaps if payouts could be done by # of wins, with a little bonus for the winners.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:02 PM

I dont think most people play HULA for the money, but to practice HU vs thinking opponents.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the end of this season, one of two things are going to happen if HULA III comes to fruition.

1) Someone else will take over head commissioner role.
2) The format of HULA III will be completely different from prior seasons.

Please reply if you have any comments on either option.

Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

We'll have to talk about what it all entails, but if need be I'd be willing to take over for you as I'm pretty sure I have the type of free time it takes to run something like this. So Doug and all you other HULA guys let me know if you'd want me to take over.

As far as changing the format goes, there are a few things I'd like to see happen. First of all, we don't need to rush into the first week like we did this year. I think if we give it a week or two to make sure everyone is setup before charging right in it eliminates some of the hassle that happened early on. All matchups will be made at the beginning of the season so there is no waiting around on certain weeks because a captain forgot to send in his matchups for that week. The time limit to play should be strictly enforced with no exceptions made, and a league commissioner having the final say over that match in all cases. As far as actual money set up and overall changes in league play, I'll wait to see what other people's ideas are.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:37 PM

Yeah, I think all matchups need to be set at the beginning of the season. I'd be in favor of just playing the draft order. This way you could contact an opponent ahead of time if you knew you were going to have problems a particular week. Matches could be played early if need be.

Another thought would be to get rid of teams completely. As far as I know, the team structure isn't really adding anything to it. There's no team meetings, coaching, discussion or anything else. Play an 8 or 10 week season against random opponents and have a winner's bracket that moves on to the "playoffs". You could randomly create divisions or conferences or whatever sort of like college football.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:07 PM

i liked the idea of the teams. obviously everyone is jealous because tosh drafts g00t.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:59 PM

Like Daryn, I like the team concept as well. However, we could possibly do the team thing and also have the players with the top records have a playoff for an individual champion at the end of the season.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:31 PM

Is there anyone way someone not in last season, namely me, could get in on this?
~justin
Old 12-05-2004, 09:50 PM

I like the idea of playing by draft order. This avoids situations such as stacking matches and having the worst player on a team throw the game to the best player on the opposite team.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anyone way someone not in last season, namely me, could get in on this?
~justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah before the next one starts there will be a draft sign up. Then you just have to hope you get drafted, but if not you can go on the alternates list. At least thats how it worked this time, but it remains to be seen if there will be any changes to that set up for next time.