Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-22-2005, 05:19 PM

Default A questionable slowplay, but what about the river?

Party 2/4 9 handed. HJ posts.

I open in UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Mp cold caller, poster calls and BB calls.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB bets and I just call as do the others.

Note: I probably should have raised here; the pot is right on the edge for me in this situation. In any case, I chose to slowplay.

Turn is K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB checks, I bet and poster and BB call.

River is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB bets. Hero ... ?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: A questionable slowplay, but what about the river?

raise. he has an ace.

1. would he bet an AKx flop into the preflop raiser with a king?
2. would he check call with a player trapped with turned trips?

edit: eh you're ahead of him but you still have potential overcallers behind you. i dont know, nevermind... lol
Old 12-22-2005, 05:41 PM

Nothing wrong with a calling the flop, if you raise the hand might end quickly (which you probably doesn't want). It's different with two suits, but here I'd think you're at least 90% fav so it's nothing wrong to let some of em catch up a little. I think it's better to build a big pot and take a slim risk of losing it than take down a rather small pot directly.

Turn is fine, river is a raise/call. I think it's more probable BB holds an ace than a king cause the latter he would have bet or raised the turn. If I'm wrong about BB (he actually holds a king) or if poster is slowplaying a king on the turn you lose one more bet. But if poster raise and BB reraises one of them probably have a king and I would fold.
It's a very unusual hand and your longterm result doesn't depend of how you play it (on the river).
Old 12-22-2005, 05:44 PM

I think you can safely raise the flop and the river here.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:54 PM

So here are some thoughts on the river. There is one ace and one king unaccounted for. If we raise, only the ace will call while the king will raise. So we risk 2 to win 1 (maybe). On the other hand, the last guy could call with less if I just call here. (I mean, who knows?)
Old 12-22-2005, 05:57 PM

Default The hand continues

So, I just called going for the overcall, but alas, the poster raised and BB called. Now what? I find it very difficult to fold here, but can we ever realistically be ahead? There is only one ace left for them to have and only one of them has it. What does the other one have if not the king? So does anyone find a fold here getting 14-1 closing the action?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with a calling the flop, if you raise the hand might end quickly (which you probably doesn't want). It's different with two suits, but here I'd think you're at least 90% fav so it's nothing wrong to let some of em catch up a little. I think it's better to build a big pot and take a slim risk of losing it than take down a rather small pot directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree (obviously). One more opponent and it is a raise because of pot size; one fewer and I might raise for deception, but slowplaying would clearly be appropriate too. Here, ... either way, I think.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a very unusual hand and your longterm result doesn't depend of how you play it (on the river).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. Playing a very strong hand against two opponents where worse hands will often not call and better hands will always raise in not *that* unusual.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Hero raises...

I wouldn't be worried about the case K. This is a perfect opportunity for someone to bluff, someone with a pocket pair to take a stab at it and someone with the last Ace to lose alot of money. I would probably cap even if three-bet and hope that you qualify for some sort of bad beat jackpot if you lose.