Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 10:41 AM

Default SSHE Pot Odds question

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I hadn't really noticed it until recently when rereading SSHE, but when Mr. Miller is talking about pot odds and has the chart on page 30, he says it's for pot odds on fourth street. I always assumed that this chart was good for the flop as well. I obviously didn't read carefully enough to only notice this now. Is there a chart available for the flop pot odds? I see Mr. Miller references "Hold 'em Poker" by Mr. Sklansky, but I don't have that book, yet.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: SSHE Pot Odds question

That chart shows the pot odds for the next card coming out. So that would show the odds of either the turn OR the river being one of your outs. For limit poker, I have found that you'd rather know these odds as given in SSHE as opposed to odds with two cards to go, since the bettor is rarely all in on the flop. However, a decent estimate is that it is almost two times as likely. For example, if you have 9 outs one time, it is 4.1-1, or about 19% on the card coming out next. With two cards to go, the likelihood of your 9 cards coming in one of them is about 36%.

Also, the odds into the turn will be slightly different than the odds going into the river due to the fact that there is one less card that is unknown. These numbers will not change significantly, but technically, this is correct saying odds going into the river. Hope this helps!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: SSHE Pot Odds question

Since on the flop, there is one fewer known card, the odds are slightly lower to hit for a given number of outs. This difference is safely ignored and using the table is fine. The other danger on the flop is that you could hit your card on the turn and then get drawn out on on the river. This is something you can adjust for by discounting your outs in the way he discusses.