Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 06:56 PM

Default River bluff

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t190)
Hero (t1120)
BB (t660)
UTG (t650)
UTG+1 (t1360)
MP1 (t1260)
MP2 (t890)
CO (t1870)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t250) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

<font color="green">Not too exciting for my hand, but not that terrible either. I think it's 50/50 that someone with TP will bet here. If it's checked around, I'm gonna lead the turn if it's not an A, K or Q. </font>

Turn: (t250) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

<font color="green">The turn is a brick, but puts a flush draw on the board, so I'm leading out with something that looks like something somewhat like a value bet that also protects my hand. I'm folding to a raise and if I get more than one caller, I'm in check/fold mode when the river comes.</font>

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t150, MP1 folds, Button folds.

River: (t550) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="green">This is the perfect situation for me. The only hand I'm *really* affraid of is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The other A8 combinations would have probably raised the turn w/ the flush draw and 2 players left to act. Considering the range of hands Villain could have, I thought it was worth the risk.

A blocking bet here would represent 1/4 of my stack and someone w/ TP is usually calling it anyways, so I don't think that's an option. I prefer going for a C/R, even with the risk of Villain checking behind w/ TP.</font>

Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t125</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, UTG+1 folds.

I think my line is good (tell me if you don't agree), but it got me thinking if this is really +EV... My first reaction when the hand was over was thinking that I don't really need these marginal spots in a low-level STT.

What do you think?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: River bluff

eh. People slowplay an 8 like that a lot. I just call the river cause I think you have the best hand and arent going to get them to call you unless your beat.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:10 PM

I don't see how it's a bluff when you're holding a legit hand. Also, I'm trying to get to showdown with TT. You're either giving more money to someone who has you beat or getting nothing out of someone who you have beat. Blech.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:23 PM

Do you think you got a queen to fold here? I don't. Just call the river bet. I think most people lead the river with an 8 because they are too scared of a check behind. I think most people expect this, too, and won't give you credit for an 8 after your river checkraise. Even if it does work sometimes, I think this is unnecessarily fancy.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:25 PM

i really dont think a queen (or anything else youre beating) folded here.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how it's a bluff when you're holding a legit hand. Also, I'm trying to get to showdown with TT. You're either giving more money to someone who has you beat or getting nothing out of someone who you have beat. Blech.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kyro is right, and it's not even close!