Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QJs
Fold 26 78.79%
Raise 1 3.03%
Call 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2005, 02:02 PM

Default RESULTS

Thank you for the responses. I didn't like my play at all, for I went for the check-raise and should have just bet it through. Oh don't get me wrong, the check-raise worked but...

FLOP ACTION: BB checks, I check, TP bets, BB calls, I check-raise. TP pauses and calls as does BB. Three to the turn.

TURN: 6

BB checks, I bet, TP folds, BB calls. Headsup.

RIVER: 5

BB bets, I call.

BB shows 76o and hits his gutshot. I racked up and went to dinner at Mom's.

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:13 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: RESULTS

BB likely would've stayed in to the river anyways even if you bet out. Just because he won the pot, doesn't mean you played it wrong.

b
Old 12-25-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB likely would've stayed in to the river anyways even if you bet out. Just because he won the pot, doesn't mean you played it wrong.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I love the way this flop was played, BB was making a mistake by calling both on the flop and the turn.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:45 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I love the way this flop was played, BB was making a mistake by calling both on the flop and the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't make a mistake calling the turn.

b
Old 12-25-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]
You're correct. Still all streets were played well.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Oops, I didnt see that the BB paired the turn. Still a well played hand by the hero IMO.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the responses. I didn't like my play at all, for I went for the check-raise and should have just bet it through. Oh don't get me wrong, the check-raise worked but...

FLOP ACTION: BB checks, I check, TP bets, BB calls, I check-raise. TP pauses and calls as does BB. Three to the turn.

TURN: 6

BB checks, I bet, TP folds, BB calls. Headsup.

RIVER: 5

BB bets, I call.

BB shows 76o and hits his gutshot. I racked up and went to dinner at Mom's.

Merry Christmas to all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any time you induce your opponents to make mistakes, or they happen to make a mistaken on their own, you win. The results in the hand dont matter. You got the BB to pay 2 small bets to hit a gutshot on the turn when he barely had the odds to call one small bet, and then the BB went to the river which is clearly an unprofitable call.

I said I wouldve bet the flop with the intention of trapping on the turn given your read. You decided to use your read to trap the flop which is perfectly fine. I thought you played this hand extremely well as you were thinking on a higher level then most people in this situaiton. You may not like your play in this hand, but I think it is nothing short of excellent.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:53 AM

The more I think about this situation the more I like the bet/3bet line. The question I have here though is this, whats the chances of TP raising with his ace? How confident are we on our read that he does have an ace and not a pocket pair. If he's the aggressive type I really like betting out in this situation to fold any draws. The problem with the board though is that there are only 3 gutshots available, 2/3, 5/6, and 7/6. With only 2 players in the pot its a rarity that someone actually have them in their holding specially since someone raised preflop.

Do we want to elimiate the gutshot in this situation or trap them? The answer is, we want to shut them out now. If we bet and TP raises the player with the gutshot is making a mistake by calling. We're calling the raise regardless and will make it 3bets if gutshots call. If I end up being headsup against TP I'll smooth call and c/raise the turn instead. I'm pretty sure he'll call the river if he has an ace too.