Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Stud tourneys ... injectionpoints ??

I like most come from a Hold'em background .. doing ok, but like most diets one gets fed up at some point. My hold'em play is 100% autopilot, so I've taken up stud .. which is kinda fun, since you are more active mentally during a hand, keeping track of hands and so fort.

I just played my first ever Stud tourney on party last night, finished just outside the money on 34 of 218.

Problem is, I had no idea what I was doing ... Is there a formalized theory of injectionpoints in stud (stacksize vs. blind) ... I ran stortstacked most of the tourney .. and finally just hit the pedal with spilt aces .. unfortunally villian hit his third 9 on 4th and I was dead.

Stealing blinds is one option ... but when do you start that and is there an M where you go for it with any hand if you are the first to enter after bring in

Second my problem was, that a very large stack was calling everybody down at least til 5th street .. (Macho and just bang at him til 7th anyway ?? )

Is there a time, when you just do like I did and say .. oh well, I'm taking my spilt aces to the river no matter what, if I'm to have a chance at winning something in this tourney

And so on ..

This thread might belong in the multitable tourney forum (feel free to move it moderator), but since everything there is Nolimit Texas Hold'em practically, I'm afraid it would go unnoticed)

Nolimit Hold'em tourneys can be played fairly simply ... if you don't catch anything just wait an hour til blinds are high and start a betting/all-in frenzy til you stacksize has improved or you have crashed and burned ... wait til blinds start hurting again and repeat.

Limit Stud ... well ... hmmm .. ??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]