Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Another AK question

This is one of those 1-2 100 Max buy-in no limit games. There has been some wild play followed by some rockish play, followed again by some wild play. 3 guys have HUGE stacks, the rest have about 100 or 150. I have about 175 after some really nice hands hit my in the head. So, I sit on the dealer button with AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. There were 3 limpers so I raise to 15. The small blind folds, the big blind calls, the others all call. The flop is K 9 4 rainbow. It is checked to me. I make a pot sized bet, the big blind raises. Now, I have seen this character play all sorts of hands, you know Ace anything, K anything, etc. I have also seen him try to steal pots almost every hand he is in. So. . . I push. Now he instantly calls and turns up K9 off suit. I have AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. We go the the river, he wins. I take another 100 out of my wallet and say "nice hand." Although I meant "OH MY GOD HOW DID THAT JUST HAPPEN? I HATE THIS GAME!!!!" My question is, should I have folded or did I do the right thing? If I just call, I would have had about 40 left, so I went all in. Is this just one of those things or did I make a tactical mistake along the way? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Another AK question

I am still learning, and I know that AK on a K94 flop is not the nuts, not usually something worth going all in with, but with your read, if the guy is a maniac, I think it is the right move. The reason I say this is the same exact thing happened to me yesterday, except my flop was A9x against the maniac. I did the same thing you did and was completely satisfied that although this time he turned over A9, he would have made that move with any A.
Not something I would not do against most, but if you or I have the read, I think it is the right move.