Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Excuse me sir...Please check your straight flush...Thank you...

I was at lucky chances last night playing some 3/6 with some bitter folks, as per usualy at 4am at Lucky chances...

Im getting sleepy so i limp UTG with Js9s and everyone else limps (6 handed, all loose/passive).

Flop: Ts 7s 4c
i bet and get called by SB

Turn: 8s
Woohoo, check/bet/call

River: x
check/bet/call

So i turn my hand over and everyone and two people at the table tell me that i should have checked through on the turn...I think this is interesting so i ask why, they tell me that i should check through in case my opponent also has a straight flush draw so that we can get the jackpot, interesting...Apparently, the SB had a gutshot straight flush draw, which i think was not the case cuz she probably would have called me down playing the board. So im confused and would like someone to explain to me why i should check, they actually ask the dealer to explain why they are suggesting this, and he does, but then tells me that he wouldn't check...

Oh, well...I just thought it was weird...
Old 11-01-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Excuse me sir...Please check your straight flush...Thank you...

if someone had a live gutshot straightflush draw on this board on the turn, they would have also had a flush and would have called you.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if someone had a live gutshot straightflush draw on this board on the turn, they would have also had a flush and would have called you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

I just want to add, that what you opponents are suggesting is a bad play, so while you would never do it yourself, you want to encourage them to do it.

You should say something like, "yeah I see what you're saying. Whenever you have jackpot potential you should just check it down." If that gets your opponents to play passively that is a big plus for you.

Paul
Old 11-02-2004, 12:47 AM

Some fools told me that at one point...at 8/16 no less. This was a long time ago, so dont mind me if my details are shaky. I held AA flop AA7 2 diamonds, okay I check the flop (SB) bet calls 4 ways, counting me. Okay I love this action...
Turn 6d, I check its bet and raised by BB and whatever position was after BB, folds to me, I called BB 3 bet got called I four bet, call call obviously.
River was...I dunno but i bet and was raised, i 3 bet and everyone in called.
77 vs AA vs KJd, and then they start bitching at me for raising the turn.
Obviously anyone who could beat me would call that last bet that I put in on the turn, but oh well, people are stupid...what I am trying to say is just ignore them, it is like a fish saying "it was sooooooted" when he rakes a pot with his jack six after calling two bets cold preflop.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:09 AM

this is part of the reason why i don't like jackpot games... people get crazy.

at chumash where i usually play the jackpot stays around $1500. whoopie do da. nobody gets freaked out and starts clamoring every time there is a possible jackpot.

but in san diego i hate hearing stupid, hypothetical things like this:

"oh man it was almost a jackpot there, see if he had pocket queens instead of jacks and then if that person had the Jack of diamonds then...."

then I of course have to explain to everyone the real rules of the jackpot because everyone forgets them every 30 seconds (ie berating someone for betting their quads when they had A4 on an AAAJ board meaning the kicker wouldn't play) to make them look even more dumb and obsessed.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:06 AM

Reminds me of the time I was playing 4/8 at Foxwoods, and I openraised from the MP with AJo. I was called only by a weak-tight, humorless nit in the BB. The board was AQJ (single suit). He called the flop, called the turn, and then when the fourth flush card hit I got a bad feeling, and checked (he checked behind).

Turns out he flopped a str8 flush, but thought he wouldn't get his free jacket (no jackpots at FW) if there wasn't a showdown...I secretly thanked him for saving me money.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:15 PM

Twice I have been in a similar situation. One time at Artichoke Joe's in San Bruno, playing hold 'em I had quads and bet them as I should, an OPEN-ENDED straight flush draw folded to me, and the whole table berated me! Not one word for the idiot who folded...

The other time was even more laughable. I was playing Omaha at Lucky Chances and flopped quad nines, check-called the flop, bet and re-raised the turn when a flush came on the board and bet the river when another pair came on the board. My quads were beaten by a straight flush. After the cheer went up for hitting the jackpot, the guy with who gave me the bad-beat started yelling at me - yelling - for betting the turn so hard! And he'd just won 20% of the jackpot!

Bottom line, jackpots are out there but they rarely happen. 999 times out of 1000 my quads are going to beat his full house and he should pay.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:31 PM

Please explain to me how someone holding 6s6c (a inside straight flush draw) already has a made flush?

Rick Diesel
Old 11-29-2004, 04:21 AM

Both cards must play in most jackpots, so 66 isnt a jackpot hand here.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:55 AM

I hear this all the time. It is incredibly stupid. People flop trip aces and start checking because they might make quads and someone might have a pocket pair (aces full of anything beaten pays at the Commerce).

But when they have pocket pairs and two aces flop, they're calling to the end (as am I) hoping to see another ace. So collect that money while you can. Plus, sometimes you might have QQ and you know they aren't folding 22 so that's the only way you're making money on the hand.

-Michael