Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Random Thoughts From My First Session

So this afternoon was the first time I've played online for money. The only other times I've played for money have been with friends playing games like Guts and Baseball.

I was surprised by a few things. I was playing at the lowest level, .02-.04 on PokerStars, and I saw people slow playing AA, QQ, JJ. I also saw a lot of check raising as well. I've only been reading this forum for a month or so, but it seems in almost all of the hand posts that I've read that you don't see many of those tactics or advice.

It seems as soon as I jumped in and the cards starting being dealt I forgot everything I had just read in GSIHE. I didn't check the pot size, I forgot about my position, I probably played some hands I shouldn't have, and took some other hands too far. I hope it gets easier to keep everything in mind that you've learned while you play.

Overall though it was a lot of fun, I learned a lot, and I got my feet wet. I'm really looking forward to improving my play and learning more about poker.

These forums are awesome. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post here and help beginners like myself understand and play the game better.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Random Thoughts From My First Session

Welcome to the forums.

The reason you don't see tactics like slowplaying monster hands recommended here is because that's a great way to lower your winrate or even lose money.

As far as check/raising, there are only a few key spots when it's appropriate. Most of the time at low limits you want to be betting solid hands in a very straightforward manner.

Best of luck.

-Salty
Old 08-13-2005, 06:11 PM

You play baseball for money?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

baseball as in 7cs with 3's/9's wild... something like if you're delt either one as a doorcard on 3rd street, on top of the bring in, you have to call the pot, not too sure on that part though.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a varient of 7 card stud. 3's and 9's are wild and you can pay for an extra card when you get a 4. At least that's the way we used to play it... (I'm answering this assuming that you weren't joking, if your question was sarcastic then just ignore me.) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 07:51 PM

no I thought you were really playing baseball for money :P
Old 08-13-2005, 07:59 PM

Interesting post.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems as soon as I jumped in and the cards starting being dealt I forgot everything I had just read in GSIHE. I didn't check the pot size, I forgot about my position, I probably played some hands I shouldn't have, and took some other hands too far. I hope it gets easier to keep everything in mind that you've learned while you play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't worry. If you keep playing this will become second nature to you. Eventually you won't do anything without considering pot size.

Good luck continuing to play. Poker is like everything else in life: you learn by screwing up.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:49 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Poker is like everything else in life: you learn by screwing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

everything except skydiving... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]