Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Fish raises and re-raises me when I have top-2-pr

better get used to it, or the occassional "Of course I capped Q2o preflop, a Queen is a pretty high card" will give u a heart attack... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 06:57 PM

So you're telling me you treat a raise from someone showing 5.0 aggression the same as someone showing 0.5 aggression after 50 hands? You might have a limited sample size, but hey... poker is a game of partial information and you're going with what information you have. Isn't one of the reasons we use PT and GT+ is for these small edges?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:13 PM

With the aggression shown I would have check-called the turn and definitely bet the river.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:16 PM

I think the point is: If he had an 5.0 aggression, you would know that he is aggressive postflop not because of the statistics, but because his constant betting and raising. It says much more about a player if you know e.g. that he has raised a gutshot on the flop or checked TPNK, than if you say he has aggression factor this or that.

The aggression factors are good to supplement actual reads, but to base a play on a stat (especially a windy stat like AF) makes you likely to play suboptimal poker.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:39 PM

another answer, just to show, why a sample size of 50 hands is worth nothing if you are looking at Aggression factor (I'm figuring you take only the postflop aggression).
Assuming he's otherwise normal of the these 50 games he only played 35% = 17 hands.
Now lets assume that the half of these hands is rubbish on the flop, so he checks or folds them, which has no effect on the AF (aggression factor consists of (bet% + raise%)/call%)
So instead of 50 hands you are basing your play only on 9 hands.
If a majority of these 9 hands were drawing hands that missed, he would have an especially low AF, regardless of what his real playing tendencies are. If a majority of these hands were Top-Pair hands he will seem much more aggressive than he really is.
Furthermore, if he had only one single hand, where there was lots of raising from him and others his stats make him look like he was a complete maniac , even though he just correctly raised his quad, flush, straight...

just take it. AF is worth nearly nothing if your sample size is small and if your sample size is bigger you should have gotten some good reads all the time you played him.
pockertracker stats are just no substitute for real reads...
Old 08-14-2005, 06:13 AM

Good points. When 4-tabling it's difficult to always check the hand history for the betting action. I usually only check when there's a lot of betting and raising.