Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 AM

Default When to bet, fold pre-flop

I'm new to NL cash games, over from NL tourneys and limit where I am a winning player. I'm just curious about how to select which hands to get involved in. The unique characteristic of NL hold em ring games is that the blinds are quite small relative to the size of pots. One school of thought is that you should play more draws and small pairs as you have great implied odds if you hit your hand just right. Another idea is that, as the impact of the blinds decreases in significance, you should play fewer hands. Finally the theory that I subscribe to is to pay attention to the average # of callers--loose, play small pairs and connectors and bluff less; tight, stick to big cards and bluff more. Any idea as to how I should alter my play? P.S. I'm assuming that a skilled NL player should expect a greater ROI than a limit player, bec. there are more opportunities for an unskilled player to screw up. Has that been your experience?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: When to bet, fold pre-flop

I play pretty loose around 30-32 VPIP and 10 PFR. I'm also the guy that's usually way out of line postflop just begging to be put in my place. My personal experience is I make a lot more money playing this way, but I can't play more than 2 tables at a time. If you play tighter, you can play 4 tables fairly easily. I find this too boring. But to each his own.