Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Artest gone for year, other suspensions absurdly long

"Whatever happened to personal responsibility for one's actions? "

That's what should be asked of the fans who came onto the court. The line shouldn't be crossed and it applies to both groups of people. I still maintain that since he didn't go into the stands, O'Neal's punishment should have been minimal. He did absolutely nothing wrong.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Disagree.

What this ruling says is: "Hey fans, keep being obnoxious. Continue to verbally abuse players to no end, harass them, heck, even throw things at them. You may get lucky enough to incite an opposing player to the point where he gets himself suspended. You can be a hero to your team!"

Wonderful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it says nothing of the kind, but I understand your bias.

The players are not allowed to go into the stands.

That's the bottom line. Artest made his choice, and because of the way he has acted over the years he got a harsh penalty. He, and nobody else, is responsible for his own actions.

The fans in question are going to be ARRESTED! They are getting kicked out of all Pistons home games for the rest of the year (at least)! What more do you want them to do? They have sent a clear message to the fans as well, but your bias won't let you see that.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He did absolutely nothing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except sucker punching a guy that was already down on the ground, but I digress...
Old 11-23-2004, 03:31 AM

What bias? I disagree with you so I'm biased?
Old 11-23-2004, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What bias? I disagree with you so I'm biased?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's obvious you have a strong bias to anyone reading this thread from start to finish. Respond to my point about the fans being arrested and banned for at least the rest of the season. Both sides are being punished, and since you flat out refuse to believe that is happening, I must assume you are still biased.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He did absolutely nothing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except sucker punching a guy that was already down on the ground, but I digress...

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy who was getting back up while the coach he came at after punching and grabbing Artest was being restrained. Yeah, what a martyr. I'm sure after fighting with two different Pacers he was about to just dust himself off and peacefully leave the court. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:36 AM

How many fans? 3 or 4 of the 100+ that threw stuff? Being charged with a misdemeanor for coming on the court is proportionate to a $5mm fine? OOOOOOH, you took away my season ticket. Oh, no.

The franchise should be forced to play multiple home games in front of no fans. That'd wake the organization up quick and they'd take proactive instead of weak and ineffective reactive measures.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, what a martyr

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, don't lump me in with people that are all about player hating.

In no way do I think that guy is a martyr. I just think he was under control. There were plenty of people around him, so why does O'Neil have to deck him while hes half laying down? Still, thats not my point, because when I saw that fat dumb man get decked in the face-

I laughed. I laughed HARD.

My position has always been that the players may have been justified in some of their actions, but that doesn't mean their behavior was acceptable.

I don't even think you believe that.

The only reason I jumped back into this thread was because you had some notion that the fans were being told they could get away with anything. I respectfully disagree. The fans in question are receiving as much punishment as can be dished out by the NBA.

The other point I was trying to make is that you can't say the fans were responsible for knocking the Pacers to the middle of the pack in the East. You can't stop the timeline to where it fits your agenda. If you go all the way back in the timeline, you will find that Artest was still the one that could have prevented all of this.

His stupid attempted hard foul with a big lead and 45 seconds left was what started it all. That's just acting like a punk. Next, the responsibility is on Wallace, and it just goes down the line all the way to the fans.

I guess all I'm trying to get across is that everyone involved deserves to be punished. All of the parties are responsible. As a fan of the NBA, I seriously hope we won't have to engage in this type of discussion ever again. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The franchise should be forced to play multiple home games in front of no fans. That'd wake the organization up quick and they'd take proactive instead of weak and ineffective reactive measures.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NBA is a business. This goes against what is in their best interests. It would be nice if we all lived in a perfect world, but the NBA isn't there for entertainment. It's there to make money. They are doing all they can within the realm of making a profit. Anything that hurts the Pistons trickles down to the NBA's bottom line.

No professional team in ANY sport would have this penalty levied against them, in the US. That's the cold hard truth of the business of sports.

If you are expecting a huge struggling business to give up that much profit, I guess you have seriously different priorites than the rest of the world. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 03:48 AM

The guy O'Neal punched never touched Artest. He ran in and covered what was presumably his friend after Artest hit the guy.