Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Want a new (HD)TV, Budget = $1,500-2,000

Well after viewing it in the store, and seeing the reviews here and elsewhere I have decided on the Sony 42A10.

I found an online retailer selling the set for $1579 significantly lower than any other price I've seen (lowest was $1709 on Amazon). Now normally this would set off alarm bells, but I have checked Resellerratings.com and pricegrabber.com and this place has a large number of reviews (80 on Reseller and 1000+ on pricegrabber) and has excellent scores on each of them.

Think I should be worried at all? The TV comes with the 1 year warranty. I'll ask if it's open box or refurb, but I assume I would be told it was new no matter what it was [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would be saving around $250 by purchasing from this retailer, so it's awfully tempting.

Also, did you guys buy extended warranties?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well after viewing it in the store, and seeing the reviews here and elsewhere I have decided on the Sony 42A10.

I found an online retailer selling the set for $1579 significantly lower than any other price I've seen (lowest was $1709 on Amazon). Now normally this would set off alarm bells, but I have checked Resellerratings.com and pricegrabber.com and this place has a large number of reviews (80 on Reseller and 1000+ on pricegrabber) and has excellent scores on each of them.

Think I should be worried at all? The TV comes with the 1 year warranty. I'll ask if it's open box or refurb, but I assume I would be told it was new no matter what it was [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would be saving around $250 by purchasing from this retailer, so it's awfully tempting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did not get the warranty. I've never had a single issue with a piece of electronic equipment. Circuit City's was 4 years/400 bucks. Covered bulb replacement. You may or may not know that the bulbs on those things have a limited lifespan (2-4 years depending on how much you watch per day). Replacements are about $200. So I figured at BEST I might break even on the warranty, but that's doubtful. Unlikely I'll need a third bulb within 4 years, and who knows - they may cost less than 200 by then anyway.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:02 PM

Yeah, the bulb issue is really the only reason why I would consider a warranty.

And that was the one thing that stopped me from ordering right away last night...I wanted to read up a lot more on bulb issues. Bottom line there is 10 people have 20 different opinions. But, like you, I feel as though it'll probably be a wash.

I'm saving a couple hundred online, so that pays for a bulb, plus I supposedly double the manufacturer's warrantly by putting it on my credit card. I don't know how easy it is to file a claim with Citi (my dad says AmEx is actually very reasonable with their double warranty policy), but I figured that gives me up to 2 years where I'm covered on a bulb.

And I would look for bulb prices to come down over those 2 years.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I did not get the warranty. I've never had a single issue with a piece of electronic equipment. Circuit City's was 4 years/400 bucks. Covered bulb replacement. You may or may not know that the bulbs on those things have a limited lifespan (2-4 years depending on how much you watch per day). Replacements are about $200. So I figured at BEST I might break even on the warranty, but that's doubtful. Unlikely I'll need a third bulb within 4 years, and who knows - they may cost less than 200 by then anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2005, 04:06 PM

GL on your purchase. Hope you like it.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:14 PM

Ok, guys. I last question from me. is it your understanding that the 1 year warrantly included in the purchase includes bulb replacement for 1 year?

I called up Sony to confirm (bwcause my credit card doubles it), and a woman told me, NO, bulb is 90 days, which kinda shocked me. I called back, spoke to a different rep, and he says YES, 1 year on bulbs as well (although, to be honest, the first woman seemed more confident in her answer).

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Are bulbs included within a year?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, guys. I last question from me. is it your understanding that the 1 year warrantly included in the purchase includes bulb replacement for 1 year?

I called up Sony to confirm (bwcause my credit card doubles it), and a woman told me, NO, bulb is 90 days, which kinda shocked me. I called back, spoke to a different rep, and he says YES, 1 year on bulbs as well (although, to be honest, the first woman seemed more confident in her answer).

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Are bulbs included within a year?

[/ QUOTE ]
I hadn't thought about it much, but I think I was under the impression that they were NOT covered. At least I think I remember reading that somewhere.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:29 AM

well guys I am down to 2 TVs.

The Sony KDFE42A10 and Samsung HLR4667W. Did any else consider these 2? I am really torn now. I like the Sony reputation, but the Samsung gets better reviews on alot of sites.

From what I have seen, the pictures are very comparable
Old 10-14-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well guys I am down to 2 TVs.

The Sony KDFE42A10 and Samsung HLR4667W. Did any else consider these 2? I am really torn now. I like the Sony reputation, but the Samsung gets better reviews on alot of sites.

From what I have seen, the pictures are very comparable

[/ QUOTE ]

Samsung is the new Sony. you should go with what 1) your eyes tell you and 2) what the reviews tell you.

the quality of these is probably equivalent.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:06 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Just purchased the Sony KDFE42A10!

Bought it from www.6ave.com which has an unbelievable price, and a real unbelievable price -- they have solid reviews and are clearly not one of these Brooklyn fly-by-night scam electronics e-tailers. Even a couple of the posters on avsforum had purchased from there.

I took a risk buying online because I cannot exchange the set if I receive one with a dead pixel or two. But I read that you can see those from normal viewing distance anyway. And any larger defencts will be covered by the Sony warranty (they don't fix a dead pixel here or there...it's considered within specification for an LCD). I figured the risk was worth $450 in savings from what it would have cost at BB or CC.

It will be delivered on Tuesday, so I will probably have more to say then.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bought it from www.6ave.com which has an unbelievable price, and a real unbelievable price

[/ QUOTE ]

which is [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]