Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Crappy rebuy tables... how do you deal with them?

What do you do when you're in a rebuy and:

1) Your table is full of tight-asses who won't gamble, and
2) You don't have the roll to push any two and rebuy a billion times, and
3) People are gambling it up and getting stacks on other tables?

I'd love to hear any ideas.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Crappy rebuy tables... how do you deal with them?

[ QUOTE ]
1) Your table is full of tight-asses who won't gamble

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask them very nicely to start gambling a little more? Not much you can do if they want to sit back and play tight. I've never been in a rebuy where NOONE at my table wasn't willing to gamble it up. There's usually at least 2 other people at a full table who like to get involved in a lot of pots early.

Sometimes just getting very loose yourself will get the other players to start to gamble some more. I've played quite a few tournies where an empty seat gets filled by a maniac and it causes the whole table to have to loosen their game up. Try playing loose for one round when the blinds are the smallest and if it seems to loosen up the table then go back to playing your game. Poker is all about adjust, adjust, adjust.

[ QUOTE ]
2) You don't have the roll to push any two and rebuy a billion times

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have the bankroll to rebuy a couple times in a tourney then you probably shouldn't be in the tourney in the first place. I'd suggest waiting until a smaller buy-in tourney starts.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing you can do here. You can't control what's going on at any table but your own and even then you can only control so much. Do the best you can at your table and don't worry about what the large stack in the tourney is at or even what the average stack is at. Early in the tourney these shouldn't be a major concern as they are in the middle to end stages.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 AM

1) Treat is as a 20+1 with 3k stacks + 1 addon
2) you prolly shouldnt be playing if you cant rebuy a few times, usually 4-6 is enough for me to have around 10k at the break, which is what I aim for
3) Let them, their moronic play will carry over into the next hour and you'll take their chips. I see tons of horrible plays 3-4 hours in, one of the big reasons they are so profitable.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when you're in a rebuy and:

1) Your table is full of tight-asses who won't gamble, and
2) You don't have the roll to push any two and rebuy a billion times, and

I'd love to hear any ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually never mind when this happens to me, because I don't have the funds to get 12 buy-ins deep into a $10+1. I just play it like a normal table, with the added bonus of being able to rebuy if I make a mistake or get unlucky.

As for #3, because I only get a huge stack if I get really lucky, I usually have to play through the big stacks anyway. I'm very comfortable with a 10-15BB stack. However, even if you zero out, double-buy and add during the break, you're playing a 33 BB stack-- and they still don't know how to play deep stack poker. So, I'm never concerned with how big the big stacks are- there are always chips out there, and I will get some. It's probably my favorite part of the tourney, having 6500 at 1st break and 24,500 at 2nd break.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:00 AM

I hate these types of tables, but don't be the one guy who decides to loosen it up if you don't want to spend a lot of money. I've tried that before and usually what happens- I push any two for 6 hands in a row and win the blinds, then get called by KK and lose my stack. Wash and Repeat.

If it's that tight, your only real option is to play it like a freezeout.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am perplexed by the responses that treat "a billion" as meaning "two." I don't think he was saying he couldn't afford to rebuy at all.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:03 PM

Just play like it isn't a rebuy. You may not have as big stack as people at other tables, but you won't have spent a lot of money. When the tables get merged, there will be plenty of donks with big stacks to take chips from.

If you try to play real loose at a tight table when the blinds are small, you will just look like a loose fish giving away your chips.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Well either you can try and loosen the table up and just open push a bunch of hands, not to keep it up, but to make them thnk you're nuts...

or just play it the bets you can and if you can't double up any, then either go crazy at the end o th rebuy period or, just be happy you only spent 31.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am perplexed by the responses that treat "a billion" as meaning "two." I don't think he was saying he couldn't afford to rebuy at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Exactly. I'm fine rebuying 3 or 4 times, but preferably not 10.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:24 PM

I usually just don't rebuy in these situations. It's not like I can't play the same tourney again tomorrow, hopefully at a better table- why waste money trying to claw your way through a less favorable situation? If you think the loose play at other tables will put others at an advantage over you later in the tourney, then this probably isn't the most favorable situation in which you could invest your money.