Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 06:51 PM

Default 99 in medium tournament stages

From a 3+rebuys to the Starts 350k tourney, we are just in the middle stages. I have played solid poker so far.
Relevant Reads:
MP1- Is a an unspectacular weak-tight player
SB- is the loose big stack who has been playing maginal hands like Q9o and winning. He is a chaser, post flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t13015)
SB (t44675)
BB (t3135)
UTG (t9466)
UTG+1 (t4030)
MP1 (t37565)
MP2 (t3415)
MP3 (t12185)
CO (t6350)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t400, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls t400, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1600) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, SB calls t1200, BB folds, MP1 calls t800.

Turn: (t5200) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (t5200) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t5200

My thoughts: Limped on the button and hoped for a good flop. Definately could have raise. Comments?
On the flop- I reraised the bet from MP1 to see where I was at, I probally should have made it more on the reraise to see where I am. I wanted the pot right there.
Turn- being called in two places and the flush draw completed was not my ideal turn card. I checked to see what the action on the river is
River- An interesting card. Now there is a couple of straight possibilities. I feel that my river check was probally too weak-tight, comments?
Old 12-30-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Re: 99 in medium tournament stages

You do not raise preflop as it is a coinflip.

If you call on the flop, you probably get the same postflop action without risking as much. Indeed, if someone had made a flush or straight you probably would have been able to release your hand as you had invested so little in it (not that that should be the criterion for releasing a hand).
Old 12-30-2004, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand this statement.
What is a coinflip? You are not playing for all the chips at this point.

A PF raise here is good.

You probably have best hand now, but may not after the flop, and you want to take control of this hand, especially given your excellent position.

If you raise and are called you also have an excellent chance of winning this hand with a continuation bet regardless of the flop.

Not raising here allow the blinds and the limper to come in cheap and gives them a chance to outflop you.

Not raisng on the button with 99 and only 1 limper is a crime.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-30-2004, 02:12 PM

The biggest mistake you made here was not raising this hand preflop with great position. Your preflop raise gives you a chance to represent any hand that hits the flop. I don't mind your check on the river even with the set.

As Sklanksy puts it, if a reraise to your bet will make you want to throw up, you are better off checking since you close the betting.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:34 AM

If all the chips are not being played for then I accept everything you say.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:52 AM

Stacks are pretty deep. I'm not sure I'd raise 99 preflop here considering that with his stack size, SB is going to call you with a pretty wide range of hands, so the limp is OK. But, by doing that, you pretty much accept to play for a set.

On the flop, there's an overcard to your pair and the board is pretty coordinated. That doesn't bode well for getting the SB out with a bet or a raise. Now a weak-tight player bets into you with a very loose chaser behind you on a flop where it's safe to say you have no clue where you stand. MP1's bet looks like he's on a draw, but your raise isn't big enough to chase out the SB. Once he calls, MP1 won't fold.

Your river check is fine. It's doubtful very many hands you beat will call the bet and a bet from last position after two rounds were checked to you invites a big bluff. If you bet, can you really call a big raise? But you'll hate to fold.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you call on the flop, you probably get the same postflop action without risking as much. Indeed, if someone had made a flush or straight you probably would have been able to release your hand as you had invested so little in it (not that that should be the criterion for releasing a hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

I see others have jumped on you already so my apology for "piling on."

BUT!

I MUST add my opinion that a PF Call in lieu of a vigorous raise is revolting. I would rather Muck 99 in this situation in preference to Calling.