Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Default I think too much...and get into trouble

So many people bluff, defend their blinds with crap, play back after the flop when the guy in the lead bets out right, calls and then plays back at the turn, check and calls to the river and then does a check raise, etc. Sometimes of course people have a hand when doing this. BUT, when you see someone that sees most flops and when you see the showdown and they played crap and got away with it time after time you start to wonder(it also pisses me off). While you can control what cards you play you can't control the flop, are we missing something here?

So when I'm in the lead going to the flop and bet it regardless what hits, lets say I have AKo and the flop is Q,8,2 rainbow. I'm 2nd to act and then get checked raised. To me this makes sense for that to happen(different scenario if all rags hit the board). I only had a 33% chance of liking the flop so odds are I didn't hit which is true in this case. The question is, did that guy really hit? I'm thinking not and therefore should re raise with my A,K high.

Then comes the turn and lets say you do have TPTK and get check raised, then what? He could have trips, 2 pair or jack [censored]. Again he could be playing me but I don't know. It just seems I guess wrong most of the time (we all have to guess to some degree) but I think too much. I'm just tired of guessing wrong, fold winning hands and playing hands that are beat badly. What do you guys think? Please be serious in your response, I know understanding my opponent better would help but you can't always do this.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: I think too much...and get into trouble

I have absolutely no idea what in the world the point of your post is.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:37 PM

You didn't mention the limits you play or whether referring to limit or NL.

If you play low limits like I do, you can pretty much forget FPS. Just play solid cards and rely on experience to tell you what is right.

At higher limits, I would assume one should be quite good at reading people and knowing who they play against to avoid what you mention.

[ QUOTE ]
BUT, when you see someone that sees most flops and when you see the showdown and they played crap and got away with it time after time you start to wonder(it also pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This bothered me too when I first started playing. It doesn't anymore because you know where most of those guys are?...broke.

I recently switched to NL for my live play (still play limit online though usually) and play against someone like you mentioned in your post. Amazing level on flop agression, and an amazing number of turn and river hits to support it. It will end, and probably not that far in the future.

I reread your post a few times and it seems to me you are a new player. Please forgive that assumption if you are not. A lot of what you describe becomes much clearer with more experience. I haven't been playing long myself (only a couple of years), but when I look back at how far I've come in that time, its amazing. A lot of what you describe is what I used to wrestle with when I started playing myself.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:11 PM

Limit poker and I have been playing for a while now. I'm just thinking too deep and too much is why I posted. Like I said I know people are playing a lot of crap but can't figure out how to deal with it. You see this happen at the higher limits where I'm not playing anymore. Lower limits 2/4 and lower are easy to beat. 10/20 and up is when it gets rough. Way more thought involved and it got into my head too much.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 04:35 PM

Against bad players, play ABC poker. Value bet, don't bluff much (if at all). Try to isolate the weak player by raising their bets (thereby forcing other players out). If you are unsure about where you stand but think there's a decent chance you have the best hand, don't fold.