Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 07:50 AM

Default JTs at the button after a raise

Most of the players at this table were calling stations.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Guido is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Guido calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (11.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Guido calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Guido calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (15.66 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Guido calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 18.66 BB
Old 06-04-2004, 08:53 AM

Default Re: JTs at the button after a raise

With 2 players to act behind you on the river, I think going for the overcall is good.

I think MP3 has T9 for 2 pair. I believe if he had KJ he would have raised the flop. MP1 most likely has AQ or KQ for TPTK and won't go away. UTG, not sure, maybe small/medium pair hoping to hit the set.

I'd hope your hand was good.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:02 AM

I don't think it's very likely MP3 has T9 because he cold called preflop and because I have a T. I don't think it's impossible because some players cold call with any two suited but I don't think it's very likely. Anyway he didn't have it...

So no mistakes?

Guido
Old 06-04-2004, 02:12 PM

I don't really like any of it. I know an argument can be made for coldcalling JTs preflop, and I would probably have been the first one to make it awhile back. Now, I may just save chips for when I'm stronger or in a better position vs. preflop raiser on a drawing hand. The flop is not good, you're ahead of AK and/or a bettor and caller of underpairs. AK's jack outs are the same as yours, but to a better hand. It looks like a two outer that some of the time will lose big to QQ. Of course, you do have the backdoor non-nut flush draw. Nevertheless, I would fold. On the turn, MP3 really indicates a strong hand to a preflop raiser and coldcaller. If he's semibluffing because he's picked up a gutshot with his pair, you're pretty much drawing to a spade, I don't think you have any other outs except maybe to a split. If he's made or slowplayed a set, the Q spades is bad. A higher flush could also be out there. If MP1 has KJ or QQ, you're going to get caught in a raising war. But the pot has grown large. On the river, the pot has gotten so big I think you have to call and hope MP3 was just semi-bluffing and somebody isn't going to checkraise.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:31 PM

PF coldcall seems borderline because of the position of the raiser. I'd like to hear an expert opinion.

The pot is too big to fold the flop. You may have the best hand, you may have some outs if you don't, and you have backdoor straight and flush draws.

Suddenly you have 20 outs on the turn. Too bad so many of them are likely no good. I'll call this a flush draw with extra chances to win. MP3 probably has a straight or a set. Call because you have a flush draw and hope MP1 has the good sense not to reraise.

You have pot odds on the river but I think you are losing. Make a crying call.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:58 PM

On the flop it's a little surprizing both blinds folded. You've got a nice juicy pot and you could reasonably expect it to get a little bigger with one if not both blinds in. On the flop, I agree that you are in a very marginal situation. As mentioned either a ten or a jack may make a better hand. but you're getting paid 3-4 ways and the pot is quite big, so I think you have to take one off. on the turn it's even more marginal (at best) but I don't think I'd give up the flush draw either. so I think I'd do the same thing, either shrugging or gritting my teeth the whole way. do you lose value avoiding this situation? maybe not? but it's not clear to me where to get out. I can't vote against the preflop call, and after that...
Old 06-04-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Preflop

Call me weak tight, but I fold here.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:13 PM

I think you played it correctly on every street, and I don't think this is an easy hand at all.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:20 PM

Anyone else feel like you're third best here? Maybe I'm giving MP1 too much credit but, assuming that he's a calling station, his PF-Turn bets indicate a really strong hand (QQ?) that knows it's beat by a straight upon getting popped on the turn. I hope it worked out well.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:35 PM

mp1 AA and mp3 KJ?
mp1 KK and mp3 99?
mp1 AQ and mp3 AsJs?