Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Dems take major gubernatorial races

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Virginia: Democratic candidate wins race on heels of a popular Democratic governor and a third candidate leaking votes from the Republican candidate

[/ QUOTE ]
On the other states you make valid points (NY and NJ). But not VA. 1) Kaine still got a majority of the vote. Kaine's votes > Kilgore's votes + Potts' votes. 2) Kilgore is an anti-death penaltly liberal being elected in f-ing Virginia (where they execute more people per capita than any other state)! Sorry dude, you can't really spin that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you guys are really over-stating the importance of the Democratic gubernatorial win in Virginia. There's a long tradition of southern states' voting being mixed. North Carolina has been solidly Republican in the presidential races, with Democratic governers winning in landslides, split senate seats, until last year when the Repubs finally took both seats, Democraticly controlled state legislature, etc. It's just a complete hodgepodge down here.

But voting is still for suckers.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a long tradition of soutern states' voting being mixed.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so wrong it hurts.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]
From the end Reconstruction up until a few years ago the Democratic Party controlled the South. Except for VA, and that was until the 1970s (I think). The two party South is a new phenomenon.

EDIT: If by mixed you meant they vote Republican on the national level and Democratic on the state level then I misunderstood you, and you are right.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the end Reconstruction up until a few years ago the Democratic Party controlled the South. Except for VA, and that was until the 1970s (I think). The two party South is a new phenomenon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Yes, you are correct. When I said "long tradition" I was speaking of the last couple of decades. Which of course is not long at all.

But my point is still valid, that a gubernatorial race in Virginia going Democratic even though it is a solid red state is nothing new.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: If by mixed you meant they vote Republican on the national level and Democratic on the state level then I misunderstood you, and you are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's what I meant, but you still had a valid point.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Virginia: Democratic candidate wins race on heels of a popular Democratic governor and a third candidate leaking votes from the Republican candidate

[/ QUOTE ]
On the other states you make valid points (NY and NJ). But not VA. 1) Kaine still got a majority of the vote. Kaine's votes > Kilgore's votes + Potts' votes. 2) Kilgore is an anti-death penaltly liberal being elected in f-ing Virginia (where they execute more people per capita than any other state)! Sorry dude, you can't really spin that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not spin. I dont think this a big deal. I think people are vastly underestimated the value of Kaine following on Warner's heels.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what "comfort" is:
[ QUOTE ]

St. Paul voters punished Mayor Randy Kelly on Tuesday for standing with President Bush a year ago, denying the Democrat a second term in Minnesota's capital city.

Former City Council member Chris Coleman, also a Democrat, routed Kelly by a more than 2-to-1 margin in unofficial returns with most precincts reporting. Ahead of the election, independent polls showed voters were primed to fire Kelly, and most cited his 2004 endorsement of the Republican president as the reason.

No sitting St. Paul mayor had lost a campaign since 1974. Kelly had a personal election streak that spanned just as long, covering his quarter-century in the Legislature and first term as mayor.

"It may sound silly, but Kelly was for Bush and I'm not,'' said retiree Audrey Guith after casting her vote for Coleman.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, that's comfort [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those local elections are certainly going to translate
into powerhouse legislation in Congress. Gooooooooo Dems!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not spin. I dont think this a big deal. I think people are vastly underestimated the value of Kaine following on Warner's heels.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more than that. Kaine was the favorite so it's not a huge upset. But the main story is that GOP strongholds aren't so strong anymore. For example, Roanoke, which Bush won 66-33 in 2004, went to Kilgore by only 53-45.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:58 AM

Could you include a notice that your a dick in future posts you make.