Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:33 AM

Default What are good and bad flops to make a continuation bet on?

Say you raise from 3rd position and get called by CO. You totally miss the flop. The money is fairly deep. What are good and bad flops to make a continutation bet on?

I would say that disconnected low flops are good, as villain probably didn't connect, and you can represent an overpair. If an ace hits, you can represent that. Multiple high cards like KQx may have hit your opponent, but if he didn't connect, it is easy to get a fold.

Something like QJ9 with a 2-flush is likely to hit your opponent. Plus it is harder to represent you hit with a standard raising hand. A paired board with a reasonably high pair probably didn't hit your opponent, but he may figure it missed you and play back, representing trips.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: What are good and bad flops to make a continuation bet on?

I've been having a problem with this too. The problem is, what are people coldcalling/limping with? The flop comes 478, they are gonna guess that it wiffed me. While I might still get QJ to fold, 66 is gonna feel pretty good. So how do you get them to fold on flops like this? These are the kind of boards that I check/fold. Now, put 1 or 2 broadway cards on the board and I'll CB with 33. I'd love to hear more discussion on this.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: What are good and bad flops to make a continuation bet on?

I think it has more to do w/ my stack size and # of opponents.
If my stack is deep, and i'm heads up (especially in position) i'll continuation nearly any flop.. i start to get pickier when a C-bet will hurt my stack decently bad or if (obviously) when vs multiple opponents.

i'd say the best flops to do it though are 1 broadway card, and two other unrelated cards... bad flops would be 3 broadway cards (that you don't have clearly).