Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 07:02 PM

Default how can I stop this

I play a lot of small s&g's at my college and do quit well, but every time I sit down with all my football buddies it seams like I play like I have never played before and I make horrid plays call with stupid hands, calling all in when I know im beat, donnt think about what they might have ext ext.. how can I stop this big leak in my game
Old 09-18-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: how can I stop this

[ QUOTE ]
I play a lot of small s&g's at my college and do quit well, but every time I sit down with all my football buddies it seams like I play like I have never played before and I make horrid plays call with stupid hands, calling all in when I know im beat, donnt think about what they might have ext ext.. how can I stop this big leak in my game

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple, keep reminding yourself the difference between a good poker player and a poor one is a SMALL one. My guess is you play your A game when playing better people but when playing your buddies who are loose/poor, you keep trying to come back over top of them, thinking you can bully them because you are "better" even though you don't have better cards. You can't do this with loose passive players.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:30 PM

yeah, this definately comes down to your perception of the football buddies versus your other opponents... your assumptions about their poker skills (while perhaps correct) leads you to think you're invunerable to the cards...
Old 09-20-2004, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You play like Gus Hansen...with the exception, he has the chip stack and "Rots of Ruck" (Japanese for,"Lots of Luck") [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2004, 01:21 PM

I think this is because you know you're more skilled than these guys. Therefore, you stay in with crappy cards figuring your skill will compensate. You should usually play more loose if they are not skilled, but still try to have good judgement.

Warewulf
Old 09-20-2004, 01:59 PM

If it's a game you play regularly; my suggestion would be to try this. Set a goal. Say, the next 3 or 4 games, whatever you decide, to play tighter then wallpaper. Review the "Top 10 Hands," position, everything like that, and stick to it. If you think you may be beat, lay it down; their's always another hand to play afterwards. Trust your instincts. Then, after that, you can try and compare the results. It's easier to loosen up your play, from a tight image, then vice versa.

Remember it's not always what have you have, it's what they think you have. Table image is everything.