Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Harrah\'s EC $20-40 hand

This is a weird game, with two unbelievable fishes, two good pros, and a mix of other better-than-average Harrah's mid limit folks (which ain't saying much). Many hands have five players seeing the flop. The standard mid-limit player is too loose preflop, getting logical later on, a little weak by the river.

Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded around to habitual blind stealer on the button who suffers from FPS. He raises, SB folds, I call.

Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, button bets, I call.

Turn comes a blank.

I check button bets, I checkraise.

What do you think of this line?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s EC $20-40 hand

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of this line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds fine to me.

Btw- I saw one pro playing the 10-20 yesterday (3-seat), where was the other?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:18 PM

I didn't play Sunday, this was Saturday night.

I know of no $10-20 pros at Harrah's EC, though there is one younger guy (brown hair, glasses I think, little fuzz on his chin) who plays there 5+ days a week. He appears to be a solid winner, so his "amateur" status is probably based more lifestyle choice than ability.

Have we played together? I play a few nights a week, usually with a brass pig on my cards.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:36 PM

"Have we played together?"

I'm not sure. I don't play 10-20 unless the wait for 20-40 is super long. And even then I usually pass. I know of only two 10-20 pros at Harrah's (and the guy you mentioned who recently took some shots at the 20-40, but then quickly moved back down), but I can't say their names. You should know them when you play with them however, because the ones I'm thinking of both have way better than average games for 10-20.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:18 PM

He said he still plays $20-40 on weekdays, but may have been blowing smoke. Kleinstadt, Nate tha' Great, and I will be out there some night this week, say halloo if you see somebody with a brass pig. First name's Stephen.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:41 PM

In this game I think I'd do the obvious thing, which is to 3-bet preflop against a steal-raise. It is likely that your 3-bet will get pretty good respect and that he won't play back at you with a weaker hand. Fancier approaches should usually be reserved for thinking, tricky/aggressive opponents who know that you perceive them to be stealing.

I actually sort of hate this coordinated flop if I'm you; any strong play on the flop has a strong likelihood of being perceived as a semi-bluff, but check-calling allows for the possibility of his taking a free card on the turn. In particular, the problem is that he'll be liable to bet his very strong hands and his very weak hands on the turn, but check behind with medium strength, showdownable hands, as well as his good draws.

These weak aces can be very difficult to play out of position; they will often be the best hand against an aggressive steal-raiser, but also won't hit the flop well very often. If given the choice, I prefer taking control earlier in the hand rather than later.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:54 AM

Default Kevin J

Hi Kevin I assume you are the same Kevin I have played with at Aurora - You knew me on line as Rounder and Mike live.

I quit playing Harras a while back actually stopped playing poker all together for some time took a real job to get the kids throught college now unencumbered by big responsibilitys I am back at it. I have found the Trump
10-20 a very soft game they hardly spread 20-40 but don't want to move there is to much to be made at the 10-20.

Playing all the live tournaments in the area too.

Tried the NLHE game found it soft but lost there to some weak players making monsters.

Guy with the gold pig I'll keep a look out for you.

BTW was the blind stealer a guy named Lenny if so your ck raise on the turn was probably a good move. Anyone see MikeG also known as sunglasses Mike.

Hope to see some of you soon.

Mike "Rounder" Guzaldo

PS: Chicago poker is the pits but my wife won't go out west. I sure enjoyed Arizona.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:32 AM

This is what I was wondering about when I asked the question.

On one hand, I think he'd have automatically reraised if I 3-bet preflop, or gone into call mode to see who's kicker was better if I raised the flop. By waiting until the turn, I could represent the trips or two pair from the coordinated board, and try to seize the initiative.

The result was that he folded in this case, but I worried more about a general strategy with some of these aggresssive bluffers I don't see at $10-20. I'll point him out to you next time we're there.