Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Re: 88 in EP. (Stars $20 Deepstack) Oh, and i\'m a calling station.

I like a small raise with a medium pair, particularly with a deep stack. It inhibits someone else with a medium pair making a raise if you just limp.

After raising pre-flop I'd always make a continuation bet unless I flopped a monster or so badly that I'm not putting any more chips in so I don't like the check-call so much.

Let's take his bet at face value: He's announcing he thinks he has the best hand. No real draw he could be betting so he's got a Jack or a pair. As he called a raise an overpair is unlikely so maybe 77-TT range.

I don't like checking the turn as this is your chance to get him off a better hand if he has 99 or TT. Alternatively you could check-raise the Jack. The turn bet from him doesn't seem too confident. Maybe he's got a Jack and is worried about the kicker or still feels like his pair is good.

River push indicates he thinks he has the best hand or nothing. A jack just takes a showdown here as does a pair. As there's no draw he could've been betting I put him on JT or TT now and fold. I certainly wouldn't be in this spot, or anything near it, with 88.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: 88 in EP. (Stars $20 Deepstack) Oh, and i\'m a calling station.

Playing deepstack I would limp 88 100% of the time with low blinds, I am looking to flopp a monster and have no trouble muckig a no hit avoiding tunelling my self into the fog of war. The limp Pf also makes it easier to fold Pf. This is very Deepstack related as in other structures or settings I could be very happy to see 88. It helps on the image as well for later stages if any is taking notice that is.

PS broke my spell of bad beats and finally made a ft again yesterday, tried my best to put bad beats on others but failed miserably HAHAHAHAHA

Peace exit, could you Pm your spread sheet again please?

Stokken