Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 PM

Default PF questions

I'm still struggling to get my vpip a little higher and just had a few questions on common situations. Just assume a typical 2/4 mix of players

a,10 mp1 all folds to you
k,j mp1 all folds to you
k,9s mp1 all folds to you
q,9s mp1 all folds to you
9,10s mp1 all folds to you

do any of these change from mp1-mp3?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: PF questions

The ATo I'll usually raise without a second thought.

As for the suited hands, I'd probably open-limp unless I thought there was a huge chance of a raise behind me, in which case I toss them. I really don't like open-limping, but this is around the range of hands that seem to call for it (at least for me).

The KJo is probably a fold from this spot, although if you bump me down a seat or two I raise instead.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:14 AM

I don't think this is why your VPIP is too low if it is too low. IMO there's a big difference between MP1 and MP3 - it's the difference between fold and raise for most of those hands, but that's me.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:17 AM

is mp1 the 4th to act? my VPIP is too low apparently too. i think i raise PF enough, i don't think i limp enough hands in late position or something.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:12 AM

Assuming a typical mix of 2/4 players doesn't really work for this question, as a good deal of where those extra few points on your VPIP come from is based on table conditions and opponents yet to act behind you. In every example you gave, there are times when it is correct to limp, raise, or fold in that position.

Your open-raising standards should expand as you move from MP1 to MP3, irregardless of table conditions/reads. But the environment will always matter to one extent or another (perhaps not so much with a hand like AT or even KJ; if it's folded to you on the button or in the SB, then you should almost always raise no matter who's left to act).

But anyway, there aren't any cut & dried answers to questions like this. If you want to play by the book, then you'll likely be playing at a VPIP in the mid teens as long as you do so. When you open up your starting hand requirements, it should be for specific reasons based on that game, or actually, that hand.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:18 AM

i raise AT, KJ, fold the rest
Old 12-10-2005, 04:19 AM

While i agree with Harv, everything in poker is situational dependent and that is the easiest answer in poker. i think these are some pretty basic hands. Raise AT, probably fold KJ for another seat (or two) and fold the rest. If you want to start getting fancy with players with these hands you want a tight image and tight players to act behind you. But if your asking these questions your not ready to get fancy. If you think your VP$IP is really to tight than you can work on increasing it with hands like Kxs on the button, and late position limps with one gap suited connector. I think you can salvage more EV from your post flop play with solid starting hands than by increasing your preflop hand range tho.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:58 AM

Thank's for the reply, I figured these were all pretty boarderline, and prob situational dependant, but I guess the next question is what kind of situation am I looking for that addjusts these from fold/raise/call. Raise the a,10 and k,j if there's tighty's behind me and a week bb? Call with the k,9s if there's a couple 50+ behind me?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:17 AM

If you limp in with these hands in MP1 you have to be ready for a raise behind you from anyone who is moderately aggressive and has similiar holdings, or better. Limping from the MP1 zone screams mediocre hand.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:38 AM

I agree, but I'm trying to get a feal for the situational times when this would be right, I dont think i ever really see these kinds of thing being discussed on here, at least not in the small stakes.