Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 09:50 PM

Default QTo in LP or on the button

What is the "right" play, here? I've caught this one a bunch of times, recently, and don't ever seem to play it well.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: QTo in LP or on the button

I play QTo in late position on occasion, but I think if you always folded it outside the blinds, you wouldn't be giving up much.

But I have raised the blinds with it when preflop is folded to me, and I also sometimes limp behind loose limpers with the hand.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:52 AM

I only play the small offsuit broadway cards (KJo, KTo, QJo, QTo and JTo from LP (button or CO depending on who's in the button) if it is either :

1) folded around to me or if there is 1 limper who I know is very loose in which case I openraise going for a blindsteal and/or HU with the loose player

2) there are 5-6 limpers before me and I can limp along in late position looking for the straight.

Your postflop play has to be good for these especially in case 1.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:14 PM

Do you win to this strategy? I think a leak in my game is misplaying these hands especially post flop so I might tighten up and fold more of them
Old 12-31-2004, 03:50 PM

I regularly play them in CO and on the button. A quick glance at EV stats on pokerroom.com shows me that the average momo makes a profit playing these on the button, so I feel confident I can make a slightly bigger profit on them.

I steal with them, play them against 1-2 weak limpers, or against a huge field. (Which I think is the consensus on what you want the lineup to be.)
Old 12-31-2004, 04:15 PM

Yep, I agree it is a tough hand to play well... and you definately don't lose much by not playing it. Pick your spots and your opponents well! I have a similar problem with QJo and have definately stopped playing it early unless the situation is just right.

-K_squared
Old 12-31-2004, 04:57 PM

From the button or CO, i would always bring it in for a raise if you want to play it. This gives you the oppurtunity to bluff at scary boards when you isolate the blinds. I say raise with it in LP or fold.