Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Hearts: Which cards do you pass here

Never ever pass the A of hearts unless you also pass it with like the 2 of hearts and have two other hearts higher than the low heart you pass. As I said before, you are responsible for stopping the person you pass to from shooting. Any pass that doesn't involve either the K, J, or 4 of hearts is terrible at best.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're passing to the left. Standard rules except no points are deducted from the score for the Jack of diamonds, and no point cards can be played on the first trick. Which cards would you pass here? My hand is:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd personally clear out either the diamonds or the clubs; diamonds is a little more appealing in this case, I think... After that, pass the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], that pretty much makes it impossible for them to shoot the moon.

Alternatively, I'd think about passing the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Both give the opponent 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], which you must pass. And both let you hold on to high hearts, so you can stop others from shooting (unless they cleaned out their hearts, but that's tough).

There's no point in trying to hold a high club or diamond, because they will likely get gobbled up fairly quickly.

You could also try and take a risk, depending on who you are playing with, and try to shoot the moon; your heavy high hearts can really help out with that. The only thing is that you will have to make sure that you can wipe out the A & K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with your low spades, and then take three tricks with your spades, and try to get everyone's hearts with your A & K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], hoping that at some point someone throws you their queen. The task will be a lot easier if you are passed any aces to get control back. But if the people you are playing with know how to play, they will probably pass a card or two that don't help you...

If I were playing with my friends, I would have an extremely difficult time shooting with this hand, unfortunately... You might be able to do it, but I'd probably avoid it, and just try to bomb the person that needs to get points with the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 05-12-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I'd perfer to know who has the queen and not hold it. though since u r passing left it doesn't help that much. try to get rid of the other club/diamond and then unload the hearts. maybe pass the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so u have to worry about one less heart, having that replace the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, in this situation, you have enough spades that you can safely hold on to the bitch without worrying... You will most likely be able to deposit that where you want with you short clubs and diamonds.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:46 PM

I think the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is an ok pass. Really, though, I would pass the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] instead of the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. In this case you give them two high hearts, but if they ever play either the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you just jump on it with the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and just lead back in with the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] both stopping them from shooting the moon and getting rid of the lead.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:06 AM

I don't think it's that important with this hand to get rid of your high hearts, but I definately see the strategy behind your thinking. I'd say it really depends on what kind of person is to your right.

Also, what is the third card you pass?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:41 AM

I would pass the T9 of diamonds, and the K of hearts.

hopefully, you won't get passed any diamonds, and you can dump either the AH or JH when diamonds are played (depending on what cards are played ahead of you, if someone else plays the AD you can dump your AH).

I would not pass the QC because you can play that as your first card, and you aren't in any danger holding the 4C (as compared to holding amiddle diamond).
Old 05-13-2005, 02:08 PM

A bit off topic but is hearts available as a moneygame somewhere?

And are there any good books on the game?

I would pass Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so I could get rid of any top spades coming my way on the first round.
But then again I can't even beat my computer.

-aron
Old 05-13-2005, 10:01 PM

I'd probably pass the KJ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] but I can see doing Shoe's pass too of K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. As for the poster after him, it's no wonder you can't beat the computer...terrible pass...YOU MUST PASS A HEART TO STOP THEM FROM SHOOTING.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but that hand does sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

No hand that has the queen of spades five-deep is a bad hand.

Like many others here, I'm passing K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and liking my hand. If there's no obvious low man to take aim at, then I'm looking to dump my J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] before letting the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] fly.

I don't think I've ever passed two hearts in my life, unless I was planning a moon-shot.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:47 PM

Passing strategy is highly dependant on the type of game you are playing, the scores, your opponents abilities and your opponents passing strategies.

Against expert players I would pass Kh + Jh + (Qc or Td) I lean more towards Td if your opponent likes to pass clubs instead of diamonds.

If your opponents suck and are not very good at preventing moon shots then a Kh Jh 4H is a decent pass to prevent others from shooting the moon and giving yourself the opportunity to shoot the moon and taking some but not a lot of hearts if you fail. Against weak players you want to give yourself the opportunity to go both ways (taking minimal damage or shooting the moon) while being able to prevent them from shooting the moon.