Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: What low paying job did you have before poker?(or still have)

[ QUOTE ]
I worked at Circuit City. It was my job to rip decent people off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate those Circuit City assholes. They seem to get a perverse pleasure out of screwing their customers.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 AM

I delivered mattresses for $8 an hour. This might not sound so bad, but I also had to take away the customers' old nasty-ass stained mattresses when I delivered them their new ones. Oh, and my boss was too cheap to hire more than one delivery guy, so I'd be doing all of this on my own. My back still bothers me to this day.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate those Circuit City assholes. They seem to get a perverse pleasure out of screwing their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is the idea. Needless to say I hated it. I used to get in trouble for not screwing people to my full potential. It's hillarious when I go back in there and pwn all of them.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to get in trouble for not screwing people to my full potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give an example of this?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that could be interesting to hear your routine. I thought the one I went to in ATL was pretty decent, but I alaways knew what I wanted, and I never bought warranties.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Say a person comes in with exactly the amount they saw in the newspaper required to purchase a computer. Now, they teach us to get a feel for a customer's spending limits and how much they are willing to spend TODAY. Then, we are supposed to construct a package that is slightly over what they intended to spend, but explain that they won't have to pay anything today if they open a Circuit City card.

Here's where things get fun: the Circuit City card has the *WORST* APR of any readily available credit card, yet if you purchase a new system, you get 12 months of interest-free financing. However, if you screw up a payment, you now owe whatever interest would have been building the entire time you had 0% financing!

By now, you are probably thinking "well just don't miss a payment". Well, that would be logical, EXCEPT you can't make your payments in store! We contract out to (I think) Chase Manhattan and cannot do anything when it comes to these cards. We get a lot of money when we open new accounts though, and get this: when you DON'T open a new account on a system that costs more than the advertised special, you get not only your department manager but the store manager on your ass as soon as the customer is gone.

edit: if you don't sell your quota of warranties you get moved to the front counter, which is another way of saying "we're looking for a way to fire you."
Old 08-26-2005, 11:58 AM

1) I worked at my Church making $280 - $330 a week setting up all of the rooms, and banquet halls and whatnot for different services and events.

2) I worked lawn care with one of my friends. His dad's best friend owned the company, so I spent a summer making sure Evander Holyfield's house didn't get overgrown with weeds. $7.50/hr, no overtime. That sucked.

3) Desk attendant at the tennis center at Georgia Tech. Easily the best job. I did nothing. I posted on 2+2, did my homework, left the desk to go watch the big screen TV, got drunk at the desk when they tried to make me work before the homecoming game, and got paid $7/hr all while doing it. Also, I got $3 or $10 for every racket I strung depending on how they paid, and what they asked for.

4) Programmer at ILC. 2nd worst job, only because I hated sitting in front of a computer pounding out code for 8 hours a day. The nice part was $14/hr with unlimited overtime, so I'd put in 50+ hour weeks, since all I was doing that semester was working. Oh well, I don't remember what drivers I wrote or editted, but I know I did a lot of them, so if you work for some telecom service, and contract out with ILC to do your M/C, I might've made your system work. The job bought me my car, but was bad enough to make me switch majors, and not come back for the 4 more semesters I was supposed to work.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 PM

wow dude $14/hour for writing code really sucks. when was this?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:10 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
wow dude $14/hour for writing code really sucks. when was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fall Semester 2003. Of course it sucks, that why they hired all us college kids to do it for them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]