Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Canterbury Park (Milo?)

I'm heading up to Canterbury Park in MN w/ my friend on Wednesday, and I was wondering if anyone (Milo?) could tell me a bit about the games... I'm looking to play $4/$8 or so and am wondering how the games are or if one of the three (O8/7S/HE) games are usually better than the others... Also, info about the rake/food/tourneys (I see there's a limit tourney on Wed. night...) would be appreciated, too...

Thanks a lot,
--ChipsAhoya
Old 06-26-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Canterbury Park (Milo?)

4/8 HE will treat you well - I've never seen a bad game in my small sample of visits. I was there for about 8 hours last night in one of the best games I've sat at. One guy who was struggling actually went on a quest to see every flop for an hour. Surprisingly, this didn't improve his results. Good times.

From what I've seen/heard, the O/8 game doesn't go much, and when it does it can be pretty rockish. There isn't much stud beyond 2/4 and 3/6, but I imagine those games are usually good. I'm sure one of the more regular visitors can correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:08 PM

I've played for a considerable amount of time at 2/4, 3/6, 4/8, and 6/12. 4/8 is usually a pretty good game, an occasional good player or two but usually pretty good.

The limit tourney is pretty crapshoot-ish. Food is actually pretty good.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:44 PM

That's encouraging, thanks for the responses... How late do the games usually go for on the weeknights? I'll stay as long as I'm running well and not tired...

If 4/8 is a pretty easy game, how about 2/4? My friend will be playing that... If I'm fine w/ 4/8, there's no reason to play 3/6, then, is there?

have a nice day,
-ChipsAhoya
Old 06-26-2005, 07:06 PM

There is not a bad 4/8 HE game in the house.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:04 PM

There are usually five 4/8 games going at any given time, and all are good all the time. Overall, expect CP players to be a bit better at every level than Vegas players. You have fewer drunks and no real "tourist" types. Nonetheless, these are not good players and you can expect 6 to the flop most hands.

There is a 4/8 Omaha/8 game going most every night. It is largely populated by old guys, and 5 of the 9 seats will be occupied by the same players at all times. It can be a good game, but generally is not worth the effort, except as a diversion.

There are usually one or two Stud games going, but rarely higher than 4/8, and generally just one 2/4 or 3/6.

All Holdem tables now have shufflers.

Food is pretty decent. Free Krispy Kremes at 5:00 am.

Soft drinks are free. Alcohol costs money.

Rake is 10%/$4 max up to 4/8 and 5%/$4 max at 6/12 and up. Jackpot drop of $1 at all levels below 15/30.

This Wed is the limit tourney. It's $100+20, and the blinds escalate so fast that it becomes a crapshoot. Nonetheless, the place fills up fast, and if you want one of the 132 tourney seats you will need to be there by 4 at the latest.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:15 PM

I made my first trip to Canterbury a week ago. I'm a rank newbie, but even I could tell that the 2/4 game was pretty soft. There were a few people at the table who seemed to have a clue, but plenty of others showing up for short amounts to time to hemorrhage cash all over the table.

Even though I finished down for the night, I walked away know that I can beat that game. I had read/studied Lee Jones's book and SSH before going, but I was nervous as hell and I think that affected me negatively.

If you friend has something of a clue he should do fine.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:26 PM

Sure, Milo just moved here from the right coast this past winter and HE'S the one people are asking for tips about the old Card Barn. Bah.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, Milo just moved here from the right coast this past winter and HE'S the one people are asking for tips about the old Card Barn. Bah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I've logged a couple hundred hours there since moving.

You know you play at a club too often when the valet no longer needs your ticket, because he knows what you drive, and just gets your car when he sees you coming through the lobby.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I've logged a couple hundred hours there since moving.

You know you play at a club too often when the valet no longer needs your ticket, because he knows what you drive, and just gets your car when he sees you coming through the lobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche, sir. Well played, et al.