Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 01:53 AM

Default How to play a set: Level 2

Table is generally LAG and sLAG with a few scattered sLAPs and maybe a TAP who turns TAN every once an orbit. No specific reads cause i am multi-ing and falling asleep. Are my caps ok here or am I lagging out as well?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB folds, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (21.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 30.25 BB

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]RESULTS TO COME TO A POST NEAR YOU [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 01:56 AM

Default Re: How to play a set: Level 2

I think calling the flop with the intention of check-raising the turn is pretty bad here, there are too many hands that the button could be raising with the intention of taking a free card on the turn and when you check-raise the turn then you make MP3 call two cold.

Three-bet the flop and take it from there, or stop and go the flop/turn, but don't check-raise the turn here.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:03 AM

Button had the trip sevens, I'm guessing, and MP3 had KK?

I'd like to think that I'd have just called the river 3bet, but in the heat of the moment I'm fairly certain I'd have capped it, too. I don't see how else you could have played any other street...you want to slow down on the flop to let the others catch their draws, and you're not going to fold the turn when it gets capped after your c/r, so there's no debate there. Raising the river goes without saying, as there's only one hand a PFR could have that beats you.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, and MP3 was on something like AsKs, but my gut still says KK.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:04 AM

I don't know about the river check-raise after all the previous aggression your opponents have shown. I think either just bet out there and call a raise.

I'm certainly not capping it after I get 3-bet unless I was *damn* sure dude would overplay AK this way...
Old 12-15-2004, 02:07 AM

I'd check-raise the flop. MP3 raised preflop, so let him do his thing. I also wouldn't cap the river.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think calling the flop with the intention of check-raising the turn is pretty bad here, there are too many hands that the button could be raising with the intention of taking a free card on the turn and when you check-raise the turn then you make MP3 call two cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the play based on the turn card, though...not sure if he played it that way intentionally while multitabling &amp; falling asleep, but when MP3 didn't raise a paired, two-suited flop, you have to think he's on AK and will bet when the K comes on the turn. He went for the c/r instead as well, but hey...that's the breaks sometimes.

On a turn besides an A or K, betting out looks like a better play.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:12 AM

Default my thoughts

Wow i thought capping these hidden full houses was almost standard on these boards. Dont you guys think that the Button could have a 7 and MP3 has AK of spades? I mean... AK of spades has some decent outs. i see these crazy plays all the time at 2/4.
jon
Old 12-15-2004, 02:12 AM

Everything seems good except maybe the cap on the river. I would like to see specific stats on the PFR if you have them. Does the check 3 bet on the turn not scare you from MP3? It screams wither AKs or KK to me.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:14 AM

exactly... i figured AKs and thought i was fine. And yea I would have gotten scared if I wasn't falling asleep. :P
jon
Old 12-15-2004, 02:18 AM

That's a hell of a lot of betting with AK, but if you think he's capable of it...then I guess have at it.