Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Why is Hellmuth checking in the dark?

It seems to be well known that until Hellmuth proves different his playing style is not one that is successful in cash games
Old 11-13-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You understand that there are different skill sets for tournaments and cash games, right? Doyle Brunson would probably arm wrestle a Crododile for a shot at Stu Ungar in a cash game, but I doubt he wanted to sit next to him at a tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're overstating the difference quite a bit here.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:18 AM

if you want to beat him in a cash game, you have to get out of the kiddy pool and start making some moves!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:14 AM

I think he does it because he seems to believe that everyone wants to take him down. So in a sense he's alowing you to "trap" yourself by overplayign a hand against him when he is sitting on a big hand?

Either that or he lets his "ESP super reading powers" make to correct post flop decision?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:30 AM

He does it to take some of the importance out of his positional disadvantage, the only problem with it is that his opponent can take a free card in draw heavy flops (like you said), but since almost everyone would rather semi-bluff there than take a free card it's not as bad as it looks
Old 11-13-2005, 08:39 AM

I think it's a huge tell. Everytime I see him do this on TV he has a marginal hand for NL. He will either when a decent pot if he flops a set or he loses alot of his chips when he tries to make a "master read" which he tries to do often.

His checks in the dark indicate weakness and the cards he's playing when he does this are weak. It puts him in a terrible spot.

Suppose he has tens raises preflop and gets reraised. He call's and checks in the dark. Well if the reraiser has AK and takes a free card he risks losing the chips in the middle when he could have protected his hand. It's a terrible play. Terrible.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 AM

From what ive heard stuey definitely lacked the patience for limit poker. That was probably a big part of his weakness in cash games.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doyle Brunson would probably arm wrestle a Crododile for a shot at Stu Ungar in a cash game, but I doubt he wanted to sit next to him at a tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree 100% with that statement.

I agree that Stu was better at tournaments than side games but still a very good player there.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what ive heard stuey definitely lacked the patience for limit poker. That was probably a big part of his weakness in cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, on Barry's site, he rates Stu and 8 for NL and a 7 for limit. So, he would disagree with you.

I think when Stu played his worse, was when there wasn't much money riding on it. It is like he didn't care about winnning a small game. There was an instance in "On of a Kind" where he was waiting to play in the big game and played some middle limit holdem. He played very badly and lost a lot of bets before going to his real game.

I don't think he was bad at limit, just low limit.

I thought a funny part of that book was when he was starting to get into cash games, someone suggested him play 30/60 and he said he didn't want to play that low-limit [censored]. lol
Old 11-13-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a huge tell. Everytime I see him do this on TV he has a marginal hand for NL. He will either when a decent pot if he flops a set or he loses alot of his chips when he tries to make a "master read" which he tries to do often.

His checks in the dark indicate weakness and the cards he's playing when he does this are weak. It puts him in a terrible spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

he does it all the time with any hand, check cardplayers' live updates in the toc final table