Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Is driving a competition to you?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

when I'm approaching a stop sign intersection in the middle of the night I turn my headlights off for a second and if I can't see any other lights I can just speed right through.

[/ QUOTE ]
What a horrible idea. On so many levels. Cops, pedestrians, nonsensical. UGH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're envisioning a different type of intersection than I am. I am more likely to have trouble with deer than cops or pedestrians
Old 11-23-2005, 12:46 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i think i 'coined' the ole around here. but i heard it somewhere else.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you did.. this is where i remember it from
Old 11-23-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cute, you require acknowledgement of a catch phrase.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:57 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
cute, you require acknowledgement of a catch phrase

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i do. it's too good to let go. i literally want credit for another's work.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:58 PM

so you're 'that guy', huh?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Default definitely a competition

We use the "New Mexico Roadblock" against maniac speeders. I'm sure some of you do this....works best on a two lane road.

You spot a maniac speeder in your rearview. You're in the right hand lane, and he's getting ready to pass you. But there's another car ahead of you, preferably on the left. When the maniac goes to pass, speed up and get next to your unwitting accomplice. The maniac thinks you're gonna pass, so he gets back behind you. Slow down so that your accomplice is now going faster than you. When maniac goes to pass you again, speed up. Very entertaining.

Another one that is more dangerous is playing chicken with someone across the intersection running a left turn red light. You know he's not stopping, so you hit the gas as soon as yours turns green and start honking. I used to do this until one runner was so late coming through he almost hit me. Same with tapping the brakes against a tailgater.

When you say someone "gives a tell" that he's gonna cut you off, do you mean he signals, or he starts to speed up and drift into your lane? I encourage signaling and let these people in, but a lot of people I know think of signaling as a bad thing because other people won't let them in.

ScottieK
Old 11-23-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I'm approaching a stop sign intersection in the middle of the night I turn my headlights off for a second

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Brilliant.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is driving a competition to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I don't care how much of an immature [censored] that makes me.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: definitely a competition

[ QUOTE ]

Another one that is more dangerous is playing chicken with someone across the intersection running a left turn red light. You know he's not stopping, so you hit the gas as soon as yours turns green and start honking. I used to do this until one runner was so late coming through he almost hit me. Same with tapping the brakes against a tailgater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this all the time. If someone's running a light when its my turn to go, I make sure that he uses the bathroom on himself or spills his coffee. I want him to be scared. I just slam on the accelerator when it turns green. And, yes, I've come close to being hit by a real late straggler before.

[ QUOTE ]
When you say someone "gives a tell" that he's gonna cut you off, do you mean he signals, or he starts to speed up and drift into your lane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I generally encourage signlers to come over...especially if they're trapped behind a slow car. The tell I'm talking about is the subtle "drift." Also, cars that are tailgating like mad suddenly "back off" and position themselves to get into a gap. Mirror checking (if you can see inside the car) is often a tell as well. If you see someone checking the driver's side and rear-view mirror, they're often coming to the left lane. Likewise, they often check the oppositte mirror before coming to the right lane.

Edit: This just happened to be post #400.