Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Is driving a competition to you?

When I drive, I see people "give a tell" that they're about to cut me off and I slam the door shut. For some reason, I get some satisfaction in this (am I just an ass?). Also, when I see people who "roll forward" while the light is still red (thereby giving the verbal clue that they want to beat me off the line) I get ready...especially if I need to get in their lane to take an exit or make a turn. Likewise, I chastise myself if I get "outsmarted" by another one of those "[censored] drivers."

Does anyone else feel like this when driving?

Also, some of my favorite driving moves:

The Bluff: Say I'm on an urban interstate "loop" and I need over, but the traffic is constant. I often pick my mark and pretend like I don't see them and veer over (but not far enough to get hit). They usually think, "Oh, [censored], and hit the brakes. I then take advantage of the gap they created and get over (shooting the gap).

The Block: I usually use this against people who have a propensity to go slower when they are "in front" of all the traffic. These are the people that have to be in front just to have clear road and then slow down. When I finally get back in front of these people (I am usually sympathetic to drivers who want to go faster, so I change lanes to accomodate them. However, I absolutely hate people who get out in front and then want to go slower than I was originally going. After all, if you're going to pass me, get out of the [censored] way.) So, if we're on a 4-lane highway, I'll often ride in the left lane with my front end about 2 feet behind the car in the right-hand lane's bumper. Usually they get the point before I go ahead and pass me. If they pass me at 80 while I'm doing 75, I expect them to continue doing 80, not dropping down to 73.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Is driving a competition to you?

my favorite move is the OLÉ!, where you can see up ahead that there is traffic all backed up, but you are still crusing at like 65 or whatever. however traffic is only backed up in your lane so far.. the left lane is still moving for a bit. what you do is maintain your normal speed up to the blockage in your lane, then switch into the free lane at the last second, leaving the guy behind you straight [censored].

OLÉ!
Old 11-23-2005, 04:36 AM

I speed up so people cant cut infront of me. If somehow I dont notice their intentions to cut infront of me, and they actually make it in, I give a strong honk.

Generally, when people drive really slow infront and I have to wait a while to get by them, I will flip them off as I drive by.

Overall, what really bugs me are slow drivers and drivers that ride my ass when im already speeding.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I speed up so people cant cut infront of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, what a dikhead.

[ QUOTE ]
If somehow I dont notice their intentions to cut infront of me, and they actually make it in, I give a strong honk.

[/ QUOTE ]

even worse.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I drive, I see people "give a tell" that they're about to cut me off and I slam the door shut.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is when its definitely 'on'
Old 11-23-2005, 04:46 AM

If I need to change lanes and nobody is playing along, I just swerve a tiny bit towards their lane real quick and they'll usually slam on their brakes and I now have an opening into their lane.

This might not apply but when I'm approaching a stop sign intersection in the middle of the night I turn my headlights off for a second and if I can't see any other lights I can just speed right through.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I speed up so people cant cut infront of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, what a dikhead.

[ QUOTE ]
If somehow I dont notice their intentions to cut infront of me, and they actually make it in, I give a strong honk.

[/ QUOTE ]

even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

? i think that is pretty standard for most males....
Old 11-23-2005, 04:51 AM

I think you misunderstand "cutting infront" and "moving infront"

I consider cutting infront when there isnt that much room for them to make it in.

I consider moving infront when there is enough room so that they arent coming within 3 feet of my front bumper.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:55 AM

1) slamming door. You're probably just being an ass. Depends on what you mean by "cut [me] off".
2) They're not trying to beat you off the line. They're trying to feel clever because they know when their light's going to turn. They don't care about you.
3: bluff) There are ways to do this without making everyone behind you slow down as well, which also get you merged without slowing you down. If I'm reading you correctly, you suck, because you're making someone slow down drastically and they're probably going to slow me down too.
4: block) As long as you don't cause any accidents, I wholeheartedly support whatever you do that gets slow people out of the left lane. Because that's where I usually am, and I'm probably trying to go at least as fast as you, but I don't want to be that jackass swerving through 3 lanes to pass you.

I have a 50-mile daily commute on LA freeways. I've only been doing it for a week, and I already hate everyone. I hate them all with a passion. I hope everything bad happens to them, and only to them. There's a chance that this means I hate you. It's nothing personal, I just wish you didn't exist and that my commute would be that much faster.

I like to drive fast. When I have five lanes of newly-paved freeway to myself I'll happily hit my limiter, but context is everything...I've been passed by the CHP while I was doing 100+, but I was on an empty 5-lane freeway with brand-new pavement. (I got lucky. He showed up in my rearview while I was closer to 125, I slowed down because he was catching up to me even at that speed.)
Old 11-23-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

when I'm approaching a stop sign intersection in the middle of the night I turn my headlights off for a second and if I can't see any other lights I can just speed right through.

[/ QUOTE ]
What a horrible idea. On so many levels. Cops, pedestrians, nonsensical. UGH.