Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: If Belief in God is +EV

Can we put a refutation of Pascal's wager in a FAQ for this forum?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Two sarcasms don't make a right. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cos its not +ev as discussed many times.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

A variation of Pascal's Wager seems to pop up nearly every day in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

My greatest apologies. I normally post about poker on the other boards but I got sucked in here today. I did not mean to make a repetitive post.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, it does come up. A stronger argument is that practising christianity is +ev, it's basically the same but avoids the easy put down that you can't chose your beliefs.

Still not +ev though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

chez
Old 10-25-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if YOU chose the wrong religion and it turns out Allah is the God you should be praying to? So every night after you're finished praying to the Christian God, you better throw in some prayers to Allah just to be safe. While you're at it, there are other religions and Gods you might as well hedge your bets with.

There are very good reasons not to get bogged down in unfounded beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Allah going to punish you the same whether or not you are a christian, all that matters is you're not Islamic.

So unless you're thinking of converting, the fact that allah might be the true god is irrelevent to Pascals wager.

chez
Old 10-26-2005, 02:59 AM

"Isn't Allah going to punish you the same whether or not you are a christian, all that matters is you're not Islamic.

So unless you're thinking of converting, the fact that allah might be the true god is irrelevent to Pascals wager."

chez

Oh my God! Do you realize that you just parrotted the point I made to you elsewhere as to why "you can't help what you believe" is the stronger anti Pascal argument?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Isn't Allah going to punish you the same whether or not you are a christian, all that matters is you're not Islamic.

So unless you're thinking of converting, the fact that allah might be the true god is irrelevent to Pascals wager."

chez

Oh my God! Do you realize that you just parrotted the point I made to you elsewhere as to why "you can't help what you believe" is the stronger anti Pascal argument?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I wonder?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Weak as the 'you can't help what you believe argument is' it at least offers an implausible refutation of Pascals wager. The allah argument makes no difference one way or the other. Surely you must realise that?

If there wasn't an argument that showed there is an infinite downside of taking the bet that is a result of taking the bet, then Pascals wager would be +ev for just about everyone.

chez
Old 10-26-2005, 09:17 AM

Hmm, "You can't help what you believe" is a nice logical and philosophical answer, but what floats my boat is picturing in my mind with glee the people who make their "can't lose! +EV!" choice then get to the Pearly Gates and meet the Baal/Set/Pazuzu triumvirate in charge. I guess I'm just vindictive that way.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, "You can't help what you believe" is a nice logical and philosophical answer

[/ QUOTE ]
Trouble is its not correct. Suppose someone doesn't believe the alleged double slit effect. If they want to believe it then they can take steps that are likely to lead to a change in their belief (especially if the effect is real)

I've given in another thread an explanation as to why its a very weak refutation of Pascals wager, I'd be very happy if anyone can explain where I've gone wrong. here