Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: I know this may be controversial to some of you...

[ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy, but I usually just limp with AK in the early levels mainly because if i raise, some donk will push with 66 and I will lose. I play AK much like 33...if i hit my hand, i will hopefully double up. If I miss, i am done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you raise with... AA/KK/QQ only?
Noted [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy, but I usually just limp with AK in the early levels mainly because if i raise, some donk will push with 66 and I will lose. I play AK much like 33...if i hit my hand, i will hopefully double up. If I miss, i am done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you raise with... AA/KK/QQ only?
Noted [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - filing away for use a year from now.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But early in a sit and go if you are faced with a non steal raise and the blinds are low, please stop reraising with AK!! Just call and play the hand!!!! I really hate reraising with AK in some of the posts I've just read (like 3 in the last 15 minutes), so I'll just make a blanket statement.

Trust me it'll make your life much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about minraises in EP?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it works for you I'm sure it's fine, just not my style. I like to raise with it, but ok if someone makes a normal reraise I fold basically 100% of the time.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:33 PM

I almost always just call if facing an EP min raise. I just refuse to put a large % of my stack in preflop with AKo in a sit and go format where I have such a huge edge in many other areas of the game.

Calling preflop is clearly +ev anyway and much less variance. Also it's very deceptive as if they have AQ or AJ and an ace flops, they stand to lose a lot of chips.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I almost always just call if facing an EP min raise. I just refuse to put a large % of my stack in preflop with AKo in a sit and go format where I have such a huge edge in many other areas of the game.

Calling preflop is clearly +ev anyway and much less variance. Also it's very deceptive as if they have AQ or AJ and an ace flops, they stand to lose a lot of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

it does keep volatility down - which is a plus for experienced players that can play well after the flop. it may be a negative for inexperienced player/or those who can't play well after the flop (me) because when we get big starting hands we are looking to increase volatility to accumulate chips, for better or worse. any thoughts?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:37 PM

im been saying this for a while. ace king is a drawing hand, play it like one.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im been saying this for a while. ace king is a drawing hand, play it like one.

[/ QUOTE ]

So any non-pair is a "drawing hand" for you?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it does keep volatility down - which is a plus for experienced players that can play well after the flop. it may be a negative for inexperienced player/or those who can't play well after the flop (me) because when we get big starting hands we are looking to increase volatility to accumulate chips, for better or worse. any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing after the flop isnt that complicated in these situations. If an ace or a king comes, play your hand accordingly and don't fold once the pot becomes large. If the flop is something like KQJ and you have many opponents, your hand is no longer worth very much, but on a normal top pair board it's strong.

If you miss the flop then probably no more money is going into the pot. I don't think it can possibly be that hard to play AK with 800-1000 starting chips postflop as the caller.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:47 PM

But what if your opponents will call your reraise-push with ATs and worse, often? (very often)