Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Table etiquette

I don't have an opinion on your question. I just wanted to tell you, it is a great line. Classic.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Id most likely be drunk because I usually am when I play cards, but I am a very good player. If I was in a low-limit 2-4 which I never would be, Id make a field day out of it. Run my mouth talking bout him and his mom. And how that money will go towards his mom eating my ass. Then he'd bite into playing heads up on higher limits and I'd break him. Never done anything like that at high limits.. like 25-50 NL holdem because frankly no one in those games ever bitches about how other people play. It's a completely different atmosphere. If it did happen though i'd probably let him ramble and tilt away the rest of his money. Can't piss off players in those games because they are usually all the same guys and keeping a table full is tough. He might just pick up and leave the game for good.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 2/4 hold em at the racetrack in LA and dragged a big pot off this guy. He began to criticize my play. All I said was nice hand. He was saying "you better learn to read to board if you wanna play". He said a couple other insulting things and told me that this must be the first time I've played.

Here's the question. Whats the best response here?

My response was "can I still keep these chips"?

Obviously, the wrong response is explaining to him why my play was correct on all the betting rounds, and how his play was incorrect on 2 of them.

Is there a better response than mine? My objective was to keep him in the game, but also to stop him from lecturing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Can I still keep the chips?" is really great. Made me laugh. It will however, only serve to put him on tilt / get angry, so if that's what you want to do, use that response.

If you want him to think you just suck, you could say something like "well sometimes I just get a vibe to play a certain hand or to call or bet, like ESP. It really works for me I swear!". I've used that one and people think I'm clueless and lucky. It's great.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:25 PM

I suspect what you're really looking for is a way to make yourself feel better. Most people instinctively feel bad when being berated by someone, even if he is a fool. I think there are some spiritual/psychological principles you can apply. "Acceptance" that people are not perfect - especially this guy. "Empathy" for what he must be feeling. "Understanding" for his emotional reaction. "Gratitude" that you have him there to win money from. Set your own emotional house in order. Then decide how you want to manage the situation. The poor guy is clearly vulnerable to manipulation. In the long run though, the nice guy route may be more profitable for you and more enjoyable.

PairTheBoard
Old 03-22-2005, 04:35 PM

i always something like,

"I'm sorry, did you say something? I must've missed it while I was stacking your chips."
Old 03-22-2005, 04:44 PM

This one works even better if you totally ignore the guy while you are stacking his chips, then look up a minute later as if you just realized he was talking to you.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:02 PM

If you want a real laugh ask the guy where you could get some advise or lessons on how to play.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:04 AM

Down in AC I run into a lot of rude New Yorkers.
After a negative comment I usually pull my hankie out and blow my nose.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:26 AM

I always ask "Can I preorder your book on Amazon?" or :When is your book coming out?'
Old 03-23-2005, 12:43 AM

When Johny Moss was still around he liked to pick his nose at such opportune moments.

PairTheBoard