Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Set on low rainbow board

so anyways, what resulted?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time "the button" is an important consideration is when you have marginal hands or when you want to throw a "curveball."

I think "the button" is highly overrated. If you have 2 6 offsuit on the button, don't even think of calling. In the long term, those extra "half blinds" to call the BB add up!

"The button" should be a consideration with marginally winning hands like K 9 suited or Q 10 suited or K Q offsuit...

So don't get stressed out b/c your "button play" is bad... Step back and take a look at your overall game rather than your "button play".

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree less with this if I tried...

The button is critical, on ALL hands. Position always matters.

And I'm not sure what you mean by calling "half-blinds" from the button?...
Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 AM

nonononoo that's not what i meant...

I think he's OVEREMPHASIZING his "button play". Of course position matters. duh.

But you don't only play hands in position! Some hands, at some situations, you actually can use the "out of position" aspect to your advantage. Obviously you mix it up.

My main reason for this statement is to not just emphasize on improving play "on the button." It's part of the picture, but not the whole thing.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so anyways, what resulted?

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet out and, of course, they all folded.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd actually want a K Q or J on the board for your slowplay to work

[/ QUOTE ]

aside from the fact that the blinds are just as likely to have Kx, Qx, Jx as they are to have anything else, why would you slowplay when there's a higher probability that they would call a bet? build the pot while you can.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only time "the button" is an important consideration is when you have marginal hands or when you want to throw a "curveball."

I think "the button" is highly overrated. If you have 2 6 offsuit on the button, don't even think of calling. In the long term, those extra "half blinds" to call the BB add up!

"The button" should be a consideration with marginally winning hands like K 9 suited or Q 10 suited or K Q offsuit...

So don't get stressed out b/c your "button play" is bad... Step back and take a look at your overall game rather than your "button play".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this is bad advice. Looking at your overall game is great, but position can't be stressed enough. With 6 players at the table, more than half the profits in my PT database comes from the button. Understanding position is like the most important thing in NL.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow this is bad advice. Looking at your overall game is great, but position can't be stressed enough. With 6 players at the table, more than half the profits in my PT database comes from the button. Understanding position is like the most important thing in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

And btw, I like to raise this first in to steal blinds or win on a CB, especially fun if they put you on overcards with these kinds of flops.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So don't get stressed out b/c your "button play" is bad... Step back and take a look at your overall game rather than your "button play

Good post
Old 11-23-2005, 01:08 PM

Ibreakforivers post was in relation to a posters advice of not open limping on the button with 33 and the OP's comments that his button play needed improvement. No one who plays NL doesn't know the importance of position therefore i think the point of his post was to reccomend the OP doesn't start overplaying the button when it's folded to him with trash hands, which is a problem for new players who have built a roll by playing SnG's.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ibreakforivers post was in relation to a posters advice of not open limping on the button with 33 and the OP's comments that his button play needed improvement. No one who plays NL doesn't know the importance of position therefore i think the point of his post was to reccomend the OP doesn't start overplaying the button when it's folded to him with trash hands, which is a problem for new players who have built a roll by playing SnG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

i still think that position needs to be pounded into the heads of people who are new to NL.

i know when i first started playing i didnt even have a clue about position and how it hurts/helps me.

just cant hurt to stress [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]