Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Ann Coulter, Joseph McCarthy and Hollywood

[ QUOTE ]
"He could eyeball a flatworm on the ground and still be looking up, he was that low."

Wow, with this much passion against a guy who made some left wingers lose their jobs, I would love to hear what you have to say about communist mass murderers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm not a fan of McCarthy, but I fail to see the point to whine about a bunch of communists getting fired/not hired because of their retarded political views, when they wanted to implement a system where people would face being executed and having their whole families shipped away to prison camps for merely being suspected of not conforming to the prevailing ideology of the government.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you will have to explain yourself. the communist party was not illegal, or outlawed like the nazi party. it had no connections to soviet union, and even if they did, there was no open military conflict with the russians, so there is no illegal activity an alleged communist could be doing other than spying for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't all liberals be up in arms about the horrible witch hunt of the nazis?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

you will have to explain yourself. the communist party was not illegal, or outlawed like the nazi party. it had no connections to soviet union, and even if they did, there was no open military conflict with the russians, so there is no illegal activity an alleged communist could be doing other than spying for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't all liberals be up in arms about the horrible witch hunt of the nazis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellcent comment!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellcent comment!

[/ QUOTE ]

it is. from a legal perspective alone, the nazi party was outlawed and the communist party was not. eventually, US courts figured that the first amendment protected everyone except hate speech, and white power/KKK/nazi skinheads are allowed to exist, while their hate speech and criminal actions are prosecuted.

would you rather have it any other way? please come forward with it.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the 50's when the Soviet Union was murdering millions of people in gulags and actually plotting world dominitation, we have the nerve to condemn McCarthy and turn a blind eye to the atrocity

[/ QUOTE ]

Right...we turned a blind eye to the Soviet Union in the 50's.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his method was accusation of people to the point of political pressure on their families, employers, etc. none of those people were ever presented with evidence that wasn't rumor and speculation. many who did not even get a hearing had their constitutional right to due process violated.

[/ QUOTE ]
I said, “His ‘method.’” I enclosed the word “method,” because that’s what it was. He used a “procedure” of the U.S. Senate as a vehicle to implement his goals. The constitutionality of what he did was never tested in the only place it matters.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn’t say the Communist Party was illegal. Their connections to the Soviet Union were real. The degree and importance of the connections, as well as the degree of Soviet influence can be argued.

Yeah, I kinda remember the Cold War. Your definition of “open military conflict” differs from mine. For starters, look up the shooting down of a USAF RB-47 flying over the North Atlantic. We raised quite a stink about it in the U.N., but nothing was done.

[ QUOTE ]
so he made up a witchhunt for his personal gain at the expense of american taxpayers and constitutional principles?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. It took a while, but his “esteemed colleagues,” (I just love it when DC folks say that) finally got tired of Joe’s antics and censured him. A rare action.

Btw, it’s still going on. Watch C-SPAN. It’s really a hoot.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some are...some aren't. It was a Jewish attorney from the liberal rag of an organization (the ACLU) that defended the Nazi's right to march in the largely jewish city of Skokie, IL.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said, “His ‘method.’” I enclosed the word “method,” because that’s what it was. He used a “procedure” of the U.S. Senate as a vehicle to implement his goals. The constitutionality of what he did was never tested in the only place it matters.

[/ QUOTE ]
no idea what you mean. are you agreeing with me?

[ QUOTE ]
I didn’t say the Communist Party was illegal. Their connections to the Soviet Union were real. The degree and importance of the connections, as well as the degree of Soviet influence can be argued.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think their connections were ever proven. moreover, connections of some members do not equal connections of the whole party. mcarthy was accusing people of attending a meeting.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I kinda remember the Cold War. Your definition of “open military conflict” differs from mine. For starters, look up the shooting down of a USAF RB-47 flying over the North Atlantic. We raised quite a stink about it in the U.N., but nothing was done.

[/ QUOTE ]
i can't find a reference of this. RB-47 shot down were not over north atlantic. source

there's a difference between outlawing the nazi party directly connected to the german furher with whom the whole world was involved in a war, as opposed to a college campus communist group that had few if any connections with the Soviet Union, and was not supporting the soviet government (spying, working for, whatever constitutes treason), and was not calling to overthrow the government of the united states. sure, the cold war can be called an military conflict, but not to the extent of WWII.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:06 PM

Good post. Right on the money. The part about disproving a negative is completely correct. For an ivy league educated chick, she sure says some illogical things.

[ QUOTE ]
While it's just more biased trash by a lunatic, I'll take a stab at at least some of it.

[ QUOTE ]
As noted here previously, George Clooney's movie "Good Night, and Good Luck," about pious parson Edward R. Murrow and Sen. Joseph McCarthy, failed to produce one person unjustly accused by McCarthy. Since I described McCarthy as a great American patriot defamed by liberals in my 2003 book, "Treason," liberals have had two more years to produce a person -- just one person -- falsely accused by McCarthy. They still can't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there is the fact that of all the hearings held by Joseph McCarthy, not one led to a single conviction of a "Communist subversive" within the US government. So why can't anyone prove that no one was falsely accused? You can't prove a negative beyond a reasonable doubt, at least not in this context. It's impossible to absolutely prove that anyone was falsely accused, it's also impossible to prove a lot of things, but since our justice system is designed the way it is, there is an assumption of innocence.

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile, I can prove that Murrow's good friend Lawrence Duggan was a Soviet spy responsible for having innocent people murdered.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, we do know that there was one, and only one, case in which McCarthy rightly accused someone who was acting as a Soviet spy. On the other hand, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe anyone would find it preferable to have been a "target" of McCarthy in the '50s than to have been an ordinary citizen living in the Soviet Union, Hungary, Poland, the Ukraine or any nation infected by the Red Plague.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. I would also say that I'd rather be in an American prison than in a Cambodian slum, but I don't think that that means I should be grateful that I'm (wrongly) sitting in jail. McCarthy used his crusade against supposed Communist subversives as a way to attack New Deal Democrats against whom he had a personal vendetta.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to McCarthy, and no thanks to Murrow, the worst horror to befall an American citizen in the '50s was the dire prospect of losing a movie credit -- although, since then, I suppose having to watch a George Clooney movie would run a close second.

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK, McCarthy never had anything to with preventing any kind of attack on America.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 PM

"No nothing except denying people the ability to earn a living in the field in which the excelled, and terrorising their friends into avoiding them. No, nothing illegal, just nice freedom loving attitude. As we know!?"

And this differs from ex-girlfriends/wives how?