Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: JJ: Playing with an overcard on BOARD

What was CO read of you? Assuming CO figured you for a LAG isolating you with TT/99 makes sense. Continuing with aggression on flop to eliminate EP player to define his hand and get HU with you. Betting the turn hoping for a fold or free showdown with position makes sense to me.

I would check call turn and hope for freebie on river.

BustN_Lose
Old 11-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Getting 18-1 and closing the action, this seems like an easy peel. You will certainly get 4 more sbs if you hit the turn. And there is a decent chance that the turn will get checked through.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:10 PM

I like a call and a turn donk/fold. You will see a raise on the flop often enough from CO with AK, TT, 99. Who knows what UTG has. The cold call from UTG doesn't scare me yet.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was CO read of you? Assuming CO figured you for a LAG isolating you with TT/99 makes sense. Continuing with aggression on flop to eliminate EP player to define his hand and get HU with you. Betting the turn hoping for a fold or free showdown with position makes sense to me.

I would check call turn and hope for freebie on river.

BustN_Lose

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said there had only been 20 hands played and honestly I can't remember what my "table image" was because I can't recall if I had raised a few pots or won pots or whatever. This hand really pissed me off when I saw the results, but looking back on it I think its a really tough spot and cases could be made for both the peel and fold UI, call and donk, and folding on the flop like I did.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 18-1 and closing the action, this seems like an easy peel. You will certainly get 4 more sbs if you hit the turn. And there is a decent chance that the turn will get checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope you are posting in the wrong thread. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Default ResulTTs

Villain had 10 10 and won UI and MHWHBG
Old 11-03-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope you are posting in the wrong thread. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
What part of my statement do you disagree with?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What part of my statement do you disagree with?

[/ QUOTE ]

SeaEagle's rational for peeling here seems right on to me. I'm interested what Soko disagrees with.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:10 PM

I'd peel and see what CO does on the turn. Yes, its a fairly drawless flop. But you're closing the action in a big pot and there's a fairly decent chance you have the best hand.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:16 PM

I don't particularly like betting this flop, honestly.

It basically seems that betting this flop is more or less committing to getting raised and then either dumping right there or on the turn.

UTG's limp-reraise followed by check is probably an action play with suited connectors. Jake's post a few months back showed that this kind of thing is as likely to be going on with suited connectors or even weirder stuff than it is with AA or KK.

So I'm more concerned with the pre-flop three-bettor (edit). We are not totally far behind his range at this point, as TT, 99, and AK are all possibilities. Importantly, I think we are getting raised by all of those hands a substantial portion of the time. In other words, us betting and getting raised more or less tells us nothing most of the time (unless it UTG check-three-bets or something).

When we consider that there is very little chance that this flop gets checked through, that we can easily dump our hand to a bet and a UTG check-raise (and save ourself that initial feeler bet), that any hand that has even a few outs to our hand isn't going anywhere in a pot this size (particularly AK), and that a blank turn card will greatly help to define our equity, it is quite clear to me:

HERO SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THE FLOP!

More of then not betting just puts us in a position like hero found himself in, which basically sucks (particularly as we probably should call a flop raise for the reasons SeaEagle mentioned).

My preferred line on this hand:

Check-call the flop (folding to a bet+check-raise). Donk a blank turn (folding to a raise, a donk-bet from UTG, or if the turn card is an A or K). Reevaluate on the river.