Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Stud WSOP on ESPN Tonight

A non-flop game on TV, imagine that. 9pm EST.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Stud WSOP on ESPN Tonight

Score, gonna have to watch some
Old 09-20-2005, 08:43 PM

bump if anyone missed this earlier
Old 09-20-2005, 08:55 PM

Hopefully they will telecast it better than they did last year where they don;t keep the order of the cards. instead they changed the order to show the value of each player's hand. but don;t they think that the order of the cards is important to understand the hand and how it is played out?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully they will telecast it better than they did last year where they don;t keep the order of the cards. instead they changed the order to show the value of each player's hand. but don;t they think that the order of the cards is important to understand the hand and how it is played out?

[/ QUOTE ]

they are doing it better this year. the play seems so ridiculously loose. People play hands that seem like complete trash to a completion
Old 09-20-2005, 10:11 PM

I wish we could have seen dead cards but it was kind of good to see the % of a hand to win, it was a little better visual perspective then twodimes
Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 PM

Well, I had to watch, but that was a pretty lame hour of coverage. Of course they had to show all the elimination hands (probably half the hands they showed, with all the commercials and fluff). I got sick of hearing the commentators criticizing the players for chasing when they in fact had correct odds (or seemed to... we didn't get to see all the upcards on 3rd).

There weren't any especially interesting hands... a couple of suckouts, a couple of hands that I thought were misplayed. I appreciate that ESPN did the non-flop-game coverage, but they just don't show enough hands for it to be that interesting.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they are doing it better this year. the play seems so ridiculously loose. People play hands that seem like complete trash to a completion

[/ QUOTE ]

While i agree in general i think the stack to ante ratio was driving a lot of this.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:21 PM

Fortunatly, they did a beter job at it than they did last year, keeping the order of the cards and highlighting the cards that made up the hand and the starting cards.

It was interesting to see how impatient a top skilled no limit player was and the looseness of their play. WHile it was a tournament and antes and increasing limits make it less possible to sit and wait or fold to a higher pair, I would have liked to see some of the players fold on the early streets when it was apparent that they were behind. Too much chasing for my like. But then again I wasn't at the final table having been knocked out of that event with half of the players remaining. No good cards. No good luck. But i did real well in the no limit satalite i won to get into this stud event. Stud satelites are too hard to win.

Oh well, maybe next year at the final table.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:22 PM

I really didn't like how they kept saying "when you chase, you lose!". It's a limit game, right guys? You know, like you guys keep saying? Most of the times they were chasing to good odds.

Plus I didn't like it how they explained the game twice. First off, you have to assume that at least half of your audience knows how to play, and 95% of those who don't are going to pick it up during the course of the show. So why explain it twice?