Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Holdem Books Rating

I was thinking about purchasing Phil Hellmuth's new book. I know most people think he's a prick and they shouldnt feed his welath but if it is a good book i'd want to read it. Has anyone read it who wants to comment?
I need feedback and reviews on Winners guide to Texas Hold'em and Ken Warren teaches Texas Holdem: Thanx
Also what is the best book to buy if you play no limit holdem?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Holdem Books Rating

I've only taken a quick glance at Phil's book, but most of what I read was pretty laughable. Ken Warren's first book was terrible. I find it hard to imagine that his new book is any good, but I could be wrong. If you want to learn big bet poker, your best bet is Pot Limit and No Limit Poker by Ciaffone and Reubens. Super/System would probably be next on the list.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:01 AM

Hellmuth's book is not only bad in general, but the worst sections by far are those on hold 'em. instead of trying to lay down a solid winning foundation based on theoretical concepts, like in any good hold 'em book, he gives you an exact set of hands to play and how to play them. you're never supposed to adjust your play for the game composition, the number of raisers in front of you, your position, or whether your hand is AA, AQo, or 77. (by the way, he recommends capping it with any of those or calling four bets cold if necessary. good luck protecting your bankroll) if you want to learn other games, the sections on stud, omaha and razz are actually decent introductions to those games.

Ken Warren's two books on hold 'em are a big step up from hellmuth, but they're primarily designed to be more easily accessible to more readers than power books like the 2+2 catalog, by having Warren write in a more down-to-earth style. if you're looking for an easier read, you could do worse than Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold 'Em, but i definitely do not recommend it if your goal is to get the best available strategy guide.

the best book available on no limit hold 'em is definitely Pot Limit and No Limit Poker by Ciaffone and Reuben. i have a bunch of book reviews here that you can glance through to find the hold 'em book that best fits your needs, as many of them are written for different skill levels and different game textures.

happy hunting.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:18 AM

I read Hellmuth's book. The only part that won't help you *lose* money is the chapter on limit HE tournament play.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:06 PM

Default The worst book in the last 10 years (EOM)

Don't waste your money.