Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Default People expect a mistake free war?

I contend that in the age of insta-info mass media hysterical play up everything 10000% that it is impossible for the US or any other country to effectively wage any sort of real war for an extended period of time.

Every war in history has had so many mistakes, screw up's, corruption, idiocy, unnecessary deaths, abuses, etc.

Think of the horrors of the Civil War, on both sides.

Think of WW2.

People tended to be ignorant of many of these mistakes and they only came to light much after the fact.

Since Vietnam the media has made it almost impossible for the populus to support any war.

Every little boo-boo in Iraq is front page news for weeks.

My basic underlying contention is that war is a dirty, nasty business and it's impossible to wage and win a war without some inevitably bad things happening and the media can go F itself.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: People expect a mistake free war?

A 4 star general said we needed 500,000 troops to secure Iraq. He was demoted. He was also right.

That is not a mistake, that is dereliction of duty on the part of George Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld.

They betrayed our volunteer army by not sending enough troops and by not equipping it properly.

Personally, I think its treason to make the parents of our boys buy their own body armor so they don't get killed or maimed.

http://www.rall.com/rants.html

If our volunteer army is abused, it will cease to exist. Can anyone guess what the alternative is?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone guess what the alternative is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me taking a trip to Fort Dix because my GPA sucks.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My basic underlying contention is that war is a dirty, nasty business and it's impossible to wage and win a war without some inevitably bad things happening

[/ QUOTE ]

You're dead right. These are exactly the reasons war should not be entered into lightly, or for the wrong reasons. There are many places in the world that need "freeing" but I don't see your tax dollars being spent on those causes.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:35 PM

Alot of what your describing sounds like incompitence.

Incompitence does not equate to dereliction of duty or treason, although can have just as bad consequences.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:54 PM

Yeah, what kind of morons would expect this Iraq war to be easy? Oh, wait, I think a couple people did.

“My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators.” Dick Cheney 3/16/03

"To suggest that we need several hundred thousand troops there after military operations cease, after the conflict ends, I don't think is accurate. I think that's an overstatement." Dick Cheney, 3/16/03

“We’re dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction, and relatively soon.” Deputy Secretary of Defense, Paul Wolfowitz, 3/27/03

“I believe demolishing Hussein’s military power and liberating Iraq would be a cakewalk.” Defense Policy Board Member Ken Adelman, 2/13/03

“A year from now, I’d be surprised if there’s not some grand square in Baghdad that is named after President Bush.” Former Pentagon Advisor Richard Perle, 9/22/03

“It is not knowable how long that conflict would last, it could last, you know, six days, six weeks. I doubt six months.” Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 2/7/03
Old 12-16-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alot of what your describing sounds like incompitence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I don't think people expect a mistake free war or a war without casualties, but they surely don't expect incompetence when so much is at stake. People probably don't expect the guy that sent our troops to this war and responsible for their mission telling the country, "It's hard work" and that, "he thinks about Iraq everyday" either.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think its treason to make the parents of our boys buy their own body armor so they don't get killed or maimed.

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't make sense unless you're making up a new definition.

And I'd step off the high horse you take towards the military when you include a link to Ted Rall's website. The man is the lowest of the low.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't make sense unless you're making up a new definition.

And I'd step off the high horse you take towards the military when you include a link to Ted Rall's website. The man is the lowest of the low.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little anecdote about army personel buying their own equipment. A kid in my Arabic class is a marine reservist and was supposed to makea speech on fox news right after class. He broughtin a scope he had bought himself b/c the marines wouldnt supply him one (by scope i mean a sighting device, meant to be used with 2 eyes, I'm not gun expert.)

Anyways, the scope still had an AK-47 round rattleing around inside of it. The scope stopped the round only 1 inch from the marine's head. It freaked him out pretty good, but makes for an awesome memento.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He broughtin a scope he had bought himself b/c the marines wouldnt supply him one (by scope i mean a sighting device, meant to be used with 2 eyes, I'm not gun expert.)

[/ QUOTE ]
While I'm certainly no gun expert, your description is confusing me. Is it like binoculars? You don't use 2 eyes with any scope I know of. Whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, the scope still had an AK-47 round rattleing around inside of it. The scope stopped the round only 1 inch from the marine's head. It freaked him out pretty good, but makes for an awesome memento.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's pretty lucky. I haven't heard of "scopes" stopping bullets.

Do you know what he did as a marine that he would need a "scope" but wouldn't be provided with one?