Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:57 AM

Default $109... Did I just min-raise? \"No more drugs for this man...\"

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

MP1 (t1440)
MP2 (t2040)
CO (t947)
Button (t1480)
Hero (t865)
BB (t1255)
UTG (t930)
UTG+1 (t1043)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t60.

Flop: (t210) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, UTG+1 calls t125.

Turn: (t460) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, UTG+1 calls t200.

River: (t1260) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 calls t250.

Final Pot: t1760

Here's the thinking:

He's got a hand because he called the flop. If he's got a flush it doesn't really matter what I do. Ditto a straight IMO. If he's got two pair or a set, I don't think he's going anywhere either. Soooo, the minraise here just helps him convince himself his one pair hand is good, or that he's got odds because of his lone heart and will have to call by the time we get to the river. I never min raise, like ever, but here it seemed like the right play.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: $109... Did I just min-raise? \"No more drugs for this man...\"

I agree. NH. You've got the nuts at this point, but what happens if the board pairs and villian boats up? I think if villian calls 200, villian calls the extra 250. I give villian worst odds for any draw still out there (as a flush stays, straight most likely stays, and a set still has quite a few outs.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. NH. You've got the nuts at this point, but what happens if the board pairs and villian boats up? I think if villian calls 200, villian calls the extra 250. I give villian worst odds for any draw still out there (as a flush stays, straight most likely stays, and a set still has quite a few outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's not folding a set or two pair no matter the river card or turn / river action, which I think is quite a reasonable assumption, then giving him odds or not doesn't matter. The money is going in every time in every scenario.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:06 AM

Yea, I guess it doesn't really matter. I just like the possibility that a hand that could draw out on me could potentially fold (which I'd rather have them do obviously). Additionally, I feel like I did everything I could to give them the worst possible odds when they do suck out. Maybe this is a leak and I'm losing value, I'm not sure.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 AM

I like it, but I really do not like the pf raise from the SB very much.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:02 PM

I like the miniraise only because you are out of position. If I had position I would just call. That said, I wouldn't raise AJ out of the SB for just this reason. Even if you make the nuts it will be difficult to extract the most from this hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:20 PM

I can't see the suits, but it's pretty apparent you hit the flush on the turn.

What happens when he has a medium strength hand and what happens when he has a draw?

When he has a medium strength hand he may be more willing to call a c/raise allin thinking you are on a draw and when he has a draw I think he is probably still going to call the c/raise allin based on your stacks and how much is in the pot. I think the biggest risk with the minraise is that you don't get that 250 on a missed draw and the second is that villian puts you on the nuts and folds TPTK or 2-pair. The only real upside is that maybe a draw calls the minraise but folds to the allin.

I think of the many times the c/raise allin gets a fold here, there was a strong chance you wouldn't have gotten any more chips regardless of what you did.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it, but I really do not like the pf raise from the SB very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is at the bottom of my range for doing that, but I don't really see a problem with it. I'm pretty comfortable post-flop and I almost always have the best hand here (excluding when he has small pairs which he'll often fold to my c-bet). I could be wrong, but I think the raise is fine.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see the suits, but it's pretty apparent you hit the flush on the turn.

What happens when he has a medium strength hand and what happens when he has a draw?

When he has a medium strength hand he may be more willing to call a c/raise allin thinking you are on a draw and when he has a draw I think he is probably still going to call the c/raise allin based on your stacks and how much is in the pot. I think the biggest risk with the minraise is that you don't get that 250 on a missed draw and the second is that villian puts you on the nuts and folds TPTK or 2-pair. The only real upside is that maybe a draw calls the minraise but folds to the allin.

I think of the many times the c/raise allin gets a fold here, there was a strong chance you wouldn't have gotten any more chips regardless of what you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. And that's what this post is I guess. Weighing these options out. You do miss one very important of information in this hand though. He has to have some sort of made hand if he called on the flop (only exception being KJ) so he is almost never folding for the 250 on the end IMO. That's why I like this, he can talk himself into calling on the river with 33 because I bluff min raised with one heart or something (obviously this doesn't happen all the time, but is a very extreme example anyways). Also I don't know that many opponents at this level are more worried about a minraise than an all-in here. Against a decent player I totally agree with you, but there are few decent players in these tournies, I thought I'd take my chances. Obviously I feel that more people are calling the minraise than the all-in, and then almost never folding to the last 250 on the end. But I respect your opinion that this isn't true.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 PM

I really can't see anyone calling this minraise that isn't willing to commit to the 450, especially at a 109.