Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-04-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Two hands from Bellagio. Call or Fold?

Just got back. If I didn't have a dayjob I'd still be there.

I submit these two hands for comment- tear me up:

Hand #1

Friday $3000 buy in NL. We are down to about 70 or so. Paying 18. I haven't had a huge stack, but I've been comfortably ahead of average for several hours allowing me room to make some play. Blinds are 400-800 with 100 ante I think. The villian is a known player who has made the WSOP ME final table in the past. I have seen him muck JJ face up to a large reraise. I'm guessing on stack sizes:

Hero is UTG+1 (30,000) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero raises to 4500.

Folded to villian in MP (50,000) who calls.

Blinds fold.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets 9000.

Villian raises all-in.

Hero ?????????????

Hand #2

Bellagio $5000 buy in NL, third hour of play, blinds at 100-200. I have been totally card dead and I have about 7500 of the 10000 I started with. The villian has a big stack.

Folded to Hero in MP with
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero raises to 700

Folded to villian in BB who calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian bets 1500.

Hero raises to 3500

Villian reraises all in.

Hero ????????

I have thought quite a bit about both these hands over the past two days. Obviously they could have been played differently to the decision point I have posted.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Two hands from Bellagio. Call or Fold?

hand 1: i would fold, given the info on the villain. its def. def. not a laydown that i would make in my home game though.

hand 2: call, getting 2:1 on money and the semi dry flop. If he has overpair, he has it. Would he call in BB with JJ or better? If he has you beat, its prob a set, but then he could be semi bluffing with a gutshot and 2 overs, or A8 or something.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 PM

Hand #1 I fold in a heartbeat. I'm sure he can beat AK (or AQ in this case) and you might not have any real outs. JJ/99 most likely with AJ possible too.

Hand #2 I dont like the raise to 3500 because you MUST call the re-raise now. That's fine if u had a monster that you wanted to induce a re-raise but you don't. In fact I don't like the flop raise at all - seems more of a limit move. I'd take a card off and re-assess when he comes out firing on the turn.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #2 I dont like the raise to 3500 because you MUST call the re-raise now. That's fine if u had a monster that you wanted to induce a re-raise but you don't. In fact I don't like the flop raise at all - seems more of a limit move. I'd take a card off and re-assess when he comes out firing on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I HATE the reraise and certainly wasn't happy that I raised here. But, is there something to be said for getting the information on the flop and not donking off on the turn? I mean, assume the reraise means I am behind to a set or an overpair. Given this aggro player, I think I'm facing a big bet (prob for all my chips) on the turn here anyway. If a blank comes do I call it?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:17 PM

hand 1) why the large preflop raise, almost 6 times the blinds. after flop, your almost pot sized bet looks a little suspicious to villain, he very well could think you are bluffing and be attempting his own bluff to steal the pot. More likely villain has AK, JJ, 99 --- 2 pair doesnt seem likely, can't see AJ or A9 calling your preflop bet unless they had a read on you being LAG.

hand 2) appears to be very similar situation, opponent may have a read on you, if you were being LAG. This hand a little easier to get away from (if not for the raise, re-raise) even though it may just be the big stack bullying, there are just too many hands that have you beat. AA-JJ, TT (not as likely), 88, 44. Kind of committed after reraise and it sucks folding TPTK.

You neglected to mention your table image? or if you had any good reads on opponents?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:33 PM

1: Fold, he ought to have it, unless you have established a patten of bet folding the flop.

2: I think you are pot commited. His all in move is really an agressive way of calling your bet!?!?! At least to some people.