Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-01-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: extracting value?

[ QUOTE ]
I hate 75$ bet.
I would pot it or check depends on the mood. Most ppl thinks small bet = trapping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hate the $75 bet at all. If OP's read is good, that bet invites Villain to make a mistake in calling, offering ~8:1 implied. And Villain may think: a chance I'm good, and a chance I can spike if not. So he may well call.

My default would be to pot it -- standard lead -- but I think this is poor here. You fold everyone but the weaker A and hands that beat you; the pairs won't play. It lets most hands play perfectly against you. You should make the play that invites the most mistakes, and here I think it's value bets all the way down.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 AM

How about a $50-$75 bet bet on the turn? It looks weird, villain gets better odds than he got calling the flop (he might even raise with the case A) and I think you have a better shot at getting your river bet called. If villiain doesn't have the case A then I doubt you are going to extract big $$$ here.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 AM

I probably go with a full on potsized bet.....I think KK or QQ might call that more often than they call an obvious value bet like $100 or $75. If he folds oh well, the pot is already nice. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:46 PM

In hindsight, making another bet of $75-100 on the turn would probably be best, because as soon as I checked I realized there was still too much money left for him to call it all on the river. So, a queen came, he insta-pushed, and I donated my stack to him.

Looking back on it, he's calling $75 on the flop with around a 10% chance to win, and he'll win more than ten times that much if he hits. So I actually didn't even force him to make a mistake, assuming he wasn't going to call again on the river unimproved. So I managed to take a situation where I was a huge favorite in a $220 pot and turn it into an EV neutral situation. Absolutely terrible.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 PM

Soah,

I think it's going to be pretty tough for you to represent a flop bluff on this hand. You've got 4 way action in a preflop reraised pot. It seems pretty unlikely that everyone will doubt a big ace is looming out there and be willing to play back at you after a typical 2/3-full pot bet into 3 players.

Because of this, I think the weak "feeler-becaues-i've-got-99-bet" line is going to get max value here, most often when someone tries to pounce on your weakness representing the ace themself. Also, you're probably checking a lot of pots in position anyway, so I think you should go ahead and do that here too.

The river becomes interesting after checking the turn. If villain checks again (which a TAG probably wouldn't do with an ace himself) you can try a big river overbet where you have the best chance of representing a bluff against one player. A smart TAG might have an easier time getting away from a river 1/2 pot value bet than a huge bet, especially if he's the type to make a big call with QQ or JJ here.

If villain block/value bets, you can push/call depending on what falls on the river.

In summary, unless TAG Villain thinks your FOS, or has AQ, I think it's going to be tough for you to get his stack. That said, I think the above line will get ya the most.

KoW

Edit: Just read that the hand was messed up and it was really the unknown BB who called. Even still I think most of this applies to an unknown on party. i haven't played on stars though.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:47 PM

i'd bet the flop for 1/2 pot, same on turn, and donate just like you did on the river.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I managed to take a situation where I was a huge favorite in a $220 pot and turn it into an EV neutral situation. Absolutely terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes he never puts another penny in after the flop bet unless he hits a queen. You can't make that assumption. It also assumes he knows you'll pay off a push on the river. If he 1/2 pot value bets the river Q I doubt you're pushing as it's the worst card in the deck...I don't think it's terrible.

KoW
Old 12-01-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight, making another bet of $75-100 on the turn would probably be best, because as soon as I checked I realized there was still too much money left for him to call it all on the river. So, a queen came, he insta-pushed, and I donated my stack to him.

Looking back on it, he's calling $75 on the flop with around a 10% chance to win, and he'll win more than ten times that much if he hits. So I actually didn't even force him to make a mistake, assuming he wasn't going to call again on the river unimproved. So I managed to take a situation where I was a huge favorite in a $220 pot and turn it into an EV neutral situation. Absolutely terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, assuming effective stacks are near 400, he can only win 550 by calling this flop bet. So not really good enough odds for him to call, but somewhat close.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd bet the flop for 1/2 pot, same on turn, and donate just like you did on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the half pot bet on the flop, and then pushing the turn.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the half pot bet on the flop, and then pushing the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, yeah i like this better.. forgot the pot is getting mighty large.