Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Is there a point where I stop raising here?

Results:

Well, a few of you got it right. I believe we went about 50 or so bets on the river, and I was down to $100ish left in front of me, when I decided to stop raising, he could have 33, I was a beginner, and I didn't want to blow the entire night's winnings on one hand. (Back then I didn't really have a correct concept of the poker "long term.") So I called the 50th bet or somewhere around there, and he triumphantly tables (results in white <font color="white">pocket aces </font>. I've always wondered about this hand, what good players would have done in my situation, and what I would have done if I knew then what I know now. I doubt I'll ever have a hand like it again.

Edit: Since I remember having about $100 in front of me, it might have been closer to the 40th bet when I called, I can't remember exactly.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would lose my stack here if he never stopped raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

How big would the stacks have to be for you to not lose your stack? What if you both had a grand in front? 10 grand? I assume at some point there is a correct place to stop, and that from a probability standpoint you can estimate where it is.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:40 AM

LOL awesome

hope I run into him somewhere [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 10:03 AM

If I have that money on the table, its all going in. No matter how much it is. If I can't put it all in in that spot, I should have left the table already.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Although you obviously should of put all your money in, what I was getting at is you shouldn't really be to harsh on yourself becuase you were a begginer/on a limited bankroll. Although there was only a very very miniscule chance you were beaten, getting stacked would of hurt so frigging bad at that stage in your poker career that it was worth avoiding.

What went on with the banter after you tabled your hands? I bet he fealt really stupido [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

How big would the stacks have to be for you to not lose your stack? What if you both had a grand in front? 10 grand? I assume at some point there is a correct place to stop, and that from a probability standpoint you can estimate where it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say your hand is good here an extremely high percentage of the time against virtually any opponent (e.g. you would have to be pretty stupid to play AA this way, but a complete and utter moron to play 33 this way). Therefore it is a good gamble, period. I think how much you put in should actually be a function of your bankroll. If I figure there is a 1% chance he has pocket 3's I probably stick 25-30% of my bankroll out there. This would be equivalent to a 300BB downswing, and whilst it would be a total kick in the teeth, it wouldn’t be a complete &amp; utter disaster. (But considering I would never ever be sitting at a table with 1/3rd of my bankroll, I would just shove in everything in front of me -- I was just addressing the theoritcal issue of a "non-table stakes game" (in which case I might be scared the hand was rigged)). Phew. Not sure that this makes any sense at all.....

I'm not sure what the correct way is to approach this mathematically, but that’s my gut feeling.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Table chatter was interesting, I gathered he really didn't understand poker. He thought he had a winning hand (obviously), something along the lines of he had two pair, I couldn't have a higher two pair, and there was no way I had a 3, so he must be a winner.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:02 PM

at one point in my life I hope I get in a spot where I actually get to go to the felt in an unlimited raise war. This is easily a spot I would have done it on.

I wouldnt beat ureself up tho, like you said, you werent that good back then. Hopefulyl if you replayed this hand today tho, youd gladly shove everything you had in front of you in the pot.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:53 PM

I had a similar situation where i had the nut straight on the flop with KT on QJ9. The turn made a heart flush and after somebody check/3bet me, I folded (this was at 2/4). The river came an 8, for a final board of QJ948 - 3 hearts, no sf possibility. It went a good 10 or 12 bets as I sat back happy i folded. On player showed 8To for the straight, other player flipped Q9 in disgust.

So yeah, I never, ever, stop raising.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 PM

Wait until he raises his last remaining chips, then stare him down for about 5 minutes before you muck your cards.

That would be sweet.

But seriously... if it was NL, I would have called an all-in, so in this case, I would definitely keep raising.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But seriously... if it was NL, I would have called an all-in, so in this case, I would definitely keep raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that putting all of the money in here is smart, but this argument doesn't make it so. In limit, each raise gives more information that isn't gained in no-limit.