Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-20-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Preparing a big bluff, then make top pair

Hand from last night. If you saw the no content thread I posted last night, this guy was UTG who called (raised all-in, technically) a 20x pot bet on an AA9 flop with the A9o which he had limped UTG with. So, he has quite a healthy stack. He hasn't really done anything special. He's probably a bit too loose (for example, limping UTG with A9o) and he might be slightly on the passive side, but overall his play hasn't been too unreasonable. He has not done anything tricky.

I raise to $14 with AJo either first or second to act, he calls, one of the blinds call. Flop is a queen and two very little cards with two spades. Blind checks, I bet $30. This bet size is normal for me. I think my image here is good enough that I will probably take this pot unless someone has a queen or better or a flush draw. He takes a while and calls, and the other player folds. This is the first time I've noticed any delay in his actions. Turn is another offsuit rag. I'm tempted to fire a second barrel since I felt he was weak, but for some reaosn decided to check instead. He takes his time again and then bets $20. I take a few seconds and raise to $100. He calls, a little bit quicker this time. The pot is $300 and I have $250 left. I'm planning to push just about any river. The river is an offsuit ace. If my read is right, I now actually have the best hand... and he'll fold. But I go ahead and push anyway?

I tend to not run a lot of big bluffs and this one just felt bad all over. I was especially worried about what to do if a spade fell on the river, since a flush draw seemed to be a likely holding for him (?).