Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: San Francisco: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

and another:
"Pink Pistols" Opposes Proposition H

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered people have come a long way since our rebellion at Stonewall in 1969. Now, members of the LGBT community are comfortable being employed as police, firefighters, EMTs, and soldiers.

But police are not enough. There are lessons learned in our struggle over these decades:
To count on our brothers and sisters in the community,
To have a proud, self-sufficient community,
To love ourselves enough to say, "Yes, we are worth saving."
We have a, different vision for San Francisco than Chris Daly. We want a San Francisco where sexual minorities are proud, independent and secure. A San Francisco where we can find refuge, sanctuary and protection in our own home, or the home of a friend, when hatred rears its head. Daly would have us cower in our living rooms and bedrooms, helpless to stop attackers from hurting our friends and families.

The LGBT community has a well deserved reputation for being gentle and nonviolent. We know that deadly force must not be resorted to lightly, but even thinkers such as the Dalai Lama and Mahatma Gandhi saw that using force may be a moral necessity.

Let's fix what's broken in the world, but stand strong together. Remember the lessons of history. Vote No on Proposition H.

San Francisco Pink Pistols
Old 11-09-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: San Francisco: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On a smaller scale, the idea that citizens of the city will be safer with this law passed is quite silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because similar bans have failed so miserably in places like England and Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]
READ THIS BOOK!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Care to share some facts or evidence?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess not. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You said you didn't care. But there is a wealth of information archived at GunCite.com.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You said you didn't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't. I just said the debate doesn't interest me very much. My only concern was that you seemed to be telling everyone 'how it is' but didn't provide any info. to back it up.

Anyway, I'm not going to go browising around some site for information you claimed you already knew, etc. If you can point to it, that would be great.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:42 AM

Don't expect any response. He could verify those statistics pretty easily with google if he wanted. Doing so would force him to admit he's wrong, so he'll simply drop the arguement.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't expect any response. He could verify those statistics pretty easily with google if he wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you're talking about me, but if the statistics are so easy to find, Boro could link us to them just as easily. Since he is the one making claims, I don't see why it should be on anyone else to provide the info.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:47 AM

Wow. Look what these brilliant people passed:

Resident of the city can no longer own a handgun, and cannot buy (or even borrow or be gifted) ammunition.

Ban does not apply to non-residents of the city, so nearby locales (south and eastbay i suppose) can continue to have guns at home for self-defense.

Now, say you are a gangbanger from Oakland and you need to rob someone or whatever. Are you going to go to Daly City where your target might be armed, or head to san fran where the sheeple are relatively defenseless?

This should be a slam dunk for the NRA to get this overturned. Part of me hopes they fail and the city dwellers can try to rest easy in the bed they have made.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:57 AM

I own guns. I enjoy guns. I support the rights of anyone in responsible ownership, use and care of guns.

I do not support anti-gun laws, for the most part. I do support the enforcement of the myriad of laws presently in place - local, state and federal.

Does a gun make me any safer? Maybe. The pistol in my car the night I was car-jacked did not. The little perp had his weapon about 3" from my left temple and I certainly wasn't going to question his threat to "blow my f'in head off" if I didn't do as he instructed me.

Was my weapon put in the hands of that or another criminal and later used illegally? Probably so. I regret that. But I've never lost any sleep over it.

If I were living in France tonight, I'd be on a rooftop. I'd use my gun. If what's happening in France were happening in the US, I believe it would have been stopped long before now.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 AM

Well, a good reason why this is dumb is because you go outside of SF and easily get a gun anywhere you wanted. Unless you got a stringent anti-gun campaign (jail for gun possession), it'd be way too easy to get a gun from somewhere else.

Still, what this does allow the police to do is to arrest people who own guns because they are investigating other crimes. Heh.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:18 AM

"From 1991 to 1995, crimes against the person in England’s inner cities increased 91 percent."

But the handgun law wasn't passed until 1997. Clearly other factors are at work.