Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-04-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Party points for the homeless (OT)

I suppose this should go in another forum, but this is where I usually post so whatever.

Sometime back one of my friends (a fellow trout, 27offsoot) suggested we should basically trade in a bunch of our party points for sweatshirts, hats and whatever stuff and give the sweatshirts to local homeless shelters. With the holidays and such coming up, I'm gonna do this at some point, and I thought I'd post this idea on here. Really though it shouldn't take a special occasion to donate a little something.

Just because the sweatshirt says partypoker.com, doesn't mean it won't keep someone warm during this time of year. I'm sure most of us have tons and tons of points we're not gonna use anyway, so we might as well use them for some good.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Party points for the homeless (OT)

It'd be a nice gesture, and I would participate if I hadn't just closed my old party account to get bakerack, but do you think the average person would be more/less likely to give a bum money when he's wearing a partypoker sweatshirt?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:49 PM

they give matusow money all the time!

BAZINNNG!

jk, but really this is a great idea.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:52 PM

great idea, sadly I used all my points on Party for Free and Ive since moved to PStars for the majority of my play.

Maybe we can get Party to give us some free stuff for this?
Didn't I see a piece on the daily show about homeless people being used by companies as billboards?
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It'd be a nice gesture, and I would participate if I hadn't just closed my old party account to get bakerack, but do you think the average person would be more/less likely to give a bum money when he's wearing a partypoker sweatshirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a decent point, but the 'bum' comment is way out of line. I think there are plenty of people in this forum who would better meet the description of 'bum' than would the average homeless person. What does a professional poker player contribute to society? Also, the vast majority of homeless people are not panhandlers. Though they may live off of charity or public assistance, they are not soliciting money from passers-by, and so their income will not be affected by wearing such a sweatshirt.

Good idea, Dave. I wonder if Party/Stars would consider allowing players to trade points directly for a donation to a charitable organization? There are a lot of middle men that could be cut out if we didn't have to order sweatshirts and then donate them in order to do something charitable.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a decent point, but the 'bum' comment is way out of line. I think there are plenty of people in this forum who would better meet the description of 'bum' than would the average homeless person. What does a professional poker player contribute to society? Also, the vast majority of homeless people are not panhandlers. Though they may live off of charity or public assistance, they are not soliciting money from passers-by, and so their income will not be affected by wearing such a sweatshirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are one bum who I wouldn't even give a Party Poker beach towel too.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Good idea, Dave. I wonder if Party/Stars would consider allowing players to trade points directly for a donation to a charitable organization? There are a lot of middle men that could be cut out if we didn't have to order sweatshirts and then donate them in order to do something charitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars probably. Party no.

Party either:

1. Wouldn't understand the concept.
2. Dikshit would get jealous (because he can barely feed his kids/there's tons of poverty in India) and pretend not to understand.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A sweatshirt's a sweatshirt. Not like they're gonna think "oh he's homeless but can play online huuuh".
Old 11-04-2005, 09:06 PM

Hey if you set this up so people can buy party stuff with points and mail YOU the gear to distribute, you'd have yourself a good operation. I would just rather do that than buy one or two articles of clothing to give away here: it's better to amass a bunch and deck out a whole city of homeless people in bling-bling PP gear. Know what im sayin?

Everett
Old 11-04-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A sweatshirt's a sweatshirt. Not like they're gonna think "oh he's homeless but can play online huuuh".

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly what I think when I see a bum with a 40 at 2 PM on a wednesday, despite your views on poker, a lot of people do not view it as an admirable enterprise, and would react negatively to a bum decked out in partypoker gear. To Captain Politically Correct who took issue with my "out of line" usage of bum, these people go around asking for a handout, in my mind that constitutes a bum. I think any handout would be better served going to some hurricane victims or something rather than random homeless people.