Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Limping on the Button

An earlier thread in which a player limped 109o behind a terrible player got me thinking.

Lets assume that the blinds are average to weak players and the CO is a loose passive fish and open limps.

What is the range of hands the hero should limp behind with and what range should he raise?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Limping on the Button

Limp none. What you choose to raise should depend on how you and your opponents play postflop and the likelyhood that you will get 1 or 2 callers from the blinds.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:36 PM

That is my normal strategy. Usually I raise and try to isolate the weak limper.

But the some comments from some other posters got me thinking that I might should start limping and playing more hands here.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:02 AM

What hands you raise is based on:

1. Limpers range.
2. How the blinds play.

What hands you limp is determined almost soley by 2.
If you know for a fact that sb and bb will call 100% of the time if you raise, then you should limp a good portion of marginal holdings. Same standards as just open limping on the button, but you can widen them some cause of extra dead money in pot from the limper.

There were a couple decent articles on openlimping on the button, I cant remember if it was 2+2 magazine or card player... I'll see if I can find any links.

-blake
Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 AM

I limp a very wide range of hands here. It definitely includes T9o. Also, crappy suited hands like Q6s.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I limp a very wide range of hands here. It definitely includes T9o. Also, crappy suited hands like Q6s.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2005, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An earlier thread in which a player limped 109o behind a terrible player got me thinking.

Lets assume that the blinds are average to weak players and the CO is a loose passive fish and open limps.

What is the range of hands the hero should limp behind with and what range should he raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I also limp when I've got incredibly loose blinds that I expect to be in the pot regardless of my isolation attempt. Depends a lot on the small blind and my own image, though. If I've been isolating a ton, I don't expect to be able to clear out anybody.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 AM

I posted the original thread and after rereading HPFAP I've started limping marginal hands in this position especially if my steal/isolation raises are not getting any respect. This has 2 benefits, it doesn't tie me with a marginal holding to the hand and it causes the weak players to misplay the small pot by not getting correct odds to call their weak draws. I've even started doing this with weak Aces since it also allows me to get more action when I do flop an ace.