Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 06:36 AM

Default What do you do with this straight on the river?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($53.20)
UTG ($11.60)
Hero ($24.40)
CO ($13.47)
Button ($17.46)
SB ($22.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($0.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($0.85) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, Button folds, BB calls $49.95 (All-In), Hero...

Final Pot: $77.95
Old 09-28-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Re: What do you do with this straight on the river?

Tough one. I fold that hand preflop... I play super tight in EP.

On the river I just call that. That's a big overbet, indicating a pretty strong hand. Could have been a slowplayed flopped boat. With two pair on board, the straight loses some strength.

But I may be weak tight and wrong.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:28 AM

I think I'm calling this, then crying as he loads my stack on the boat he made and ships it over to his stack. But I don't think this is the right play.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:07 AM

Call the river the first time he bets. Check, check, big over bet when board makes straights or flushes possible=a very likely boat. I wouldn't flame you for just folding to the original bet. As played, fold to his 3-bet.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:49 AM

General Rule of Thumb: Never raise in a situation where a re-raise will make you want to throw up.

This is one of those situations. Just call the original bet.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm calling this, then crying as he loads my stack on the boat he made and ships it over to his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Never raise when scared of a re-raise? Sounds weak-tight-passive to me... (is that even a category)
Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never raise when scared of a re-raise? Sounds weak-tight-passive to me... (is that even a category)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the only reason not to reraise here. Very few worst hnads will pay off a raise. I'd just call the river.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all.

Let's break all hands down into three categories.

1) Trash: You have nothing.

2) Medium Hands: Basically top pair, overpairs, two pair, open trips, and non-nut made hands, such as small straights, small flushes, straights on a paired board etc.

3) Monsters: Sets, boss open trips, full boats, nut and near-nut made hands.

When you're on the river, you generally don't want to raise with Level 2 hands. These are hands that have good showdown potential. Obviously this is very board dependent, ie top pair on a 5678T 4-flush board isn't too useful. It's also player dependent. But for the most part you want to see a showdown with these hands.

If you raise with them, you face the possibility of a re-raise, which is bad. You're hand probably isn't good against a re-raise, but you don't want to fold a hand that could be best. Therefore, you (usually) shoulden't raise to begin with.

This is especially true against opponents who are capable of re-raising on the river with weak holdings, either because they are tricky LAGs or total donkeys.

You're obviously going to raise Level 3 hands, and you can still raise Level 1 hands because you aren't going to feel sick if you get re-raised, since you just instamuck. So it's not weak or passive.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:12 AM

I would fold here. Unless you have a read to the contrary, I doubt villain would overplay trips like that.