Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 09-25-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Good Book For Poker Stories?

I've recently become rather fasicanted with reading about the crazy stories that go on the professional poker playing world. Anyone know of any good books that focus on this topic? Specifically, I'd be more interested in reading about the lives of these new, hotshot poker players (e.g. Negreanu, Lindgren) than the old timers (Brunson, Slim).

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Good Book For Poker Stories?

Read "One of a Kind : The Rise and Fall of Stuey "The Kid" Ungar, The World's Greatest Poker Player". Although it's mostly about Unger, you'll find several amusing poker & gambling stories about Mike Sexton, Doyle Brunson, Puggy Pearson, and Billy Baxter just to name a few. Also, "The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King, : Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time". Alot of stories and insight into the lifestyle of high stakes poker players.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently become rather fasicanted with reading about the crazy stories that go on the professional poker playing world. Anyone know of any good books that focus on this topic? Specifically, I'd be more interested in reading about the lives of these new, hotshot poker players (e.g. Negreanu, Lindgren) than the old timers (Brunson, Slim).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read a pile of books that meet at least some of the criteria you mention. You might want to browse these reviews at:
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/

The book that most meets your criteria is probably "Aces and Kings" by Kaplan and Reagan.

Some other books that might interest you include "Moneymaker", "Positively Fifth Street", and "Tales From the Tiltboys".

Good books that focus on some of the "older school" poker players include "One of a Kind", "The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King", and "All In".

Books that cover poker players as well as other types of gamblers include "Fast Company" and "Gambling Wizards". These focus on more older school folks.

Even though they are about "old school" players, you really don't want to miss "The Biggest Game in Town" and "Big Deal". Doyle's "Poker Wisdom of a Champion" is also worth reading.

I haven't yet read Annie Duke's book, but it might fit your bill. Antonio Esfandiari and Erick Lindgren both have books coming out that may be some part story books, some part strategy. They might be worth checking out.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:25 AM

Also -
Greenstein's book is a combination 'poker-guide' and 'high-limit stories' book including a brief biography of his career.
It's not exactly what you're looking for....but some of the tales from the table he tells are fairly interesting.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to check out all these books you mentioned and see which one's strike my interest.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:56 AM

A little OT, but "Bringing Down the House" was an excellent read. Blackjack instead of poker, but entertaining.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A little OT, but "Bringing Down the House" was an excellent read. Blackjack instead of poker, but entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this already, and I agree. Very entertaining, quick read.